It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:48 pm 

I want to plant some trees and have researched Howard's books. It seems most of his information is for the DFW area. I want to plant a Bur Oak, Tulip Poplar and a Caddo Maple. Does anyone know if these will do well in Houston. Thank you. (I have located all but the Maple, which I won't be able to get until the spring.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:35 pm 

What is your location around Houston and what is your soil? Houston is a boundary zone between marsy coastal plains, black gumbo clay, and piney woods.

I think all three of those trees to have a chance will need to be planted with excellent drainage. The bur oak and the caddo maple have the best outlook. The tulip poplar is a very fast growing weak tree. Limbs will break in windy weather. I would say if you are trying to grow this for the flowers, I'd plant it in a secluded area far from structures. If you aren't trying to bring the flowers then pick something else more yard friendly. Have you looked a the Texas ash? Great fall color. And with the bur oak, maple and Texas ash you get a trifecta of fall color hues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:50 pm 

I live in northwest Houston between Cypress and Jersey Village and I am not sure what kind of soil I have. I think we have good drainage with a bayou behind our house and the property sloping toward the front of the house. I never thought of the ash and we get alot of wind in my backyard so maybe I won't get the tulip tree. I will definitely look into getting the ash tree. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:17 am 

Well at least you aren't in the coastal plains. Having clay, loam or a mixed soil shouldn't be a problem for the oak, maple, and ash trees you are planning. Some trees handle both soils, some trees only do well in sandy loam while others love the thick black clay. The nurseries and books won't always tell you what trees do best where. They just say, "Sure, you can grow this here." That's not good enough for me, I want to know what will thrive for me, not just survive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:07 am 

I wanted to add that ONLY the Texas ash will work. Don't let anyone talk you into an Arizona ash or another ash tree. Only this native ash will give you the desired vitality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:22 pm 

I called the nursery and they assured me that they have a Texas ash for sale. Although it is a 65 gallon tree!! Thanks again for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:06 am 

As a former Houstonian, I know much about trees there and all the jumbo gumbo gumbo jumbo mumbo.

Bur oak will do very good there.Give it plenty of room.

Tulip tree is a good tree. It is not a junk tree.I guess it can be troublesome,but it is much better than cottonwoods. I love the fall colors of tulips. It grows 100 ft. in the forest.

Caddo maple will do good, but you already have southern sugar maple native in Houston area and East TX. You may wanna try that.

Other great trees there are as follows

Willow oak
Water oak
Southern red oak
Live oak
Swamp chesnut oak
Southern magnolia
baldcypress

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:28 pm 

Is there another name for the sugar maple? Most nurseries around me only carry the silver maple. I won't be able to get a Caddo Maple until the spring since the last one I inquired about just sold. I would definitely be interested in the southern sugar maple though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:37 pm 

tcb68 wrote:
Is there another name for the sugar maple? Most nurseries around me only carry the silver maple. I won't be able to get a Caddo Maple until the spring since the last one I inquired about just sold. I would definitely be interested in the southern sugar maple though.

It is a subspecies of sugar maple.Southern sugar maple, also called "Florida maple", Acer barbatum, is native in the southeastern part of US. It is basicly just a southern version of sugar maple.It is smaller than sugar maple, growing about 30-40 ft tall and 20-30 ft wide. Caddo maple is an Okahoma subspecies or variety of sugar maple as well. To tell you the truth, I don't know what are exactly all differences among the trees. I don't think southern sugar maple is all that popular in the nurseys esp in TX. I don't know why. They are beautiful. But they are getting more popular in other states.

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:44 am 

That area is the boundary line for the Houston area. South of Houston is the gumbo area (that I live in and my trees to GREAT, thank you) and the Trinity River/Livingston area is the Pine/Sandy soil area so you are right on the border. All you have to do is take a drive on US45 or US59 from your area South through Houston. Just watch the soil and the trees and you will get a good idea of where things change. It is a pretty sudden change within just a few miles.

Tulip Poplars are junk unless you do not mind limbs falling on your house, limbs breaking off in high winds, etc. Yes, they have beautiful flowers but if you intend to use them, make sure and plant them far away from anything that you do not want to get damaged. The only thing worse are pecans.

Our neighbors on Livingston grow just about every tree possible in Texas and they do great, from Live Oaks to Post Oaks to Maples to you name it.

By the way, I have two Red Maples that I planted in my yard 3 years ago and they absolutely LOVE it.