It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:08 pm 

It is said by the gurus that spraying weekly with diluted liquid seaweed helps cold temp tolerance by a few degrees.

It is also said that paramagnetic rock helps.

I am suspicious of both claims.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:04 pm 

I can TELL you that seaweed folar spray helps plants to come through very cold spells because I have brought many, many plants through such times when they would otherwise have been expected to freeze. In fact, side by side situations where plants were treated the same with the exception of the seaweed yielded enough proof to me to use it always. This includes a very tender chamomile plant that lived through nighttime temperatures a few years ago down into the teens. I use the regular 1 oz. seaweed to one gallon of water mixture and spray duringthe day when it's not so very cold. I also water the roots with the solution. It works for me, and it should certainly work for you.

Mulching properly with lava/paramagnetic rock or a sufficient thickness of shredded mulch will help keep the ground temperature more consisent and the roots of the plant from freezing. It also protects your microbial activity and the ability of the plant to take in nutrition and keep itself healthy and functioning as necessary.

The regular organic/natural program increases the compounds in the plants' systems that make them more healthy and less susceptible to illness and to freezing also. Primarily it is the level of natural sugars and balance of minerals that does the trick. That's why my tomatoes always live well into November, and in fact just finally froze two days ago when the temp went down below 30 at last.

That's my experience with these two recommendations.
I hope they'll help you too.
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:22 pm 

I was hoping someone would post regarding the cold weather. I have 3 fairly small trees (sweetgum, shummard red oak, and a dwarf bloodgood japanese maple) I planted in August I am a little worried about. I have been using Garrett Juice weekly as a foliar spray (though there isn't much foliage left!), and to drench the soil when I water them. I did water deeply a few days ago with the Garrett Juice mixed in. I don't have any mulch on the ground to protect the roots, and there is sleet covering the bare ground around the trees. I guess I didn't plan ahead. Is there anything I should do at this time, or just hope for the best? I do have some cedar mulch I could steal from the flower beds if it would even help.
Thanks,
Mikey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:49 pm 

Great info Kathe. Side by side comparisons are invaluable!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:05 pm 

Thanks, Dave. I agree. I don't recommend things I haven't tried myself unless I say so in the post and then I only provide information from what I consider a reliable source.

As far as using warmer water, yes, I tried that myself out of curiosity and found that as long as the difference isn't dramatic; i.e., tap water from inside the house vs. water from the hose outside, it's okay. But if you use water that is a great deal warmer or cooler, it will be too much of a shock.

Like I said in my earlier post, keeping the ground mulched will regulate the soil temperature around the roots in both summer and winter so the variance is less dramatic. Experimenting with a thermometer in the first few inches of soil that is exposed to the air vs. soil that is mulched will give you clear evidence of this truth very quickly. It's just a fact. So why not use it to your advantage? And by the way, even if the ground is cool when you do it, it will warm up from below. If you are cold and cover up, soon you will be warm. Same with the soil. If you lay a covering of mulch over cool soil and then go back to check it in a day, it will be warmer. If you put a layer of compost down first, it will be even warmer. Ever seen your compost pile give off steam? Mine does all the time!

I love experiments! Especially the ones we learn from!
:lol:

Kathe