It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:52 am 

I have a 75 foot well on my place which I use to water the vegetable garden and lawn (about 2 acres). The water has a high iron content. I used it last summer for the first time ( and used it a lot because of the drought here in east texas) and all the vegetables, grass, trees, etc seemed to do just fine, maybe even better than usual. The only problem I saw was red staining on posts, birdhouses, etc. Does anyone know if continued heavy usage of this water will result in some type of iron build up problem in my soil? Is there a cost effective way to remove some of the iron from the water?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:26 am 

Heavy metals or excessive minerals in water for irrigation is not that big of a deal in a well managed organic or sustainable soil management system.

Keep your soil rich in organic matter (compost or other forms of humus), and rich in beneficial soil organisms. This will balance and buffer the nutrients to your lawn and/or garden plants.

The best way to increase your soil biology is using lots of stuff rich in molasses or sugar products like dry molasses.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton