It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hoping to glean!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:25 pm 

Greetings from Fair Meadow Farm!
We are a family of 6 living on a 30 acre hay meadow. My husband is an electician by trade but we are longing to farm this place full time someday. We currently raise chickens and turkeys and soon dairy goats. We are trying to learn how to convert our hay meadow from chemical fertilizers to organic. We look forward to gleaning from the posts and making new friends.
The Pinckards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:57 pm 

Welcome aboard! Getting started on the organic program is really easy - first thing to do is simply stop using the synthetic chemical pesticides and fertilizers. All you need to know about the Basic Organic Program can be found on the home page of http://www.dirtdoctor.com.

Are your chickens and turkey free range? That would be another step in the right direction if they are not. Going organic for both your land and your livestock will make farming your 30 acres a great, safe and healthy experience for your entire family.

I hope you will visit often, Good luck!

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:34 pm 

Howdy and Welcome to ALL the Pinckards in the Meadows.

I have heard that applying dry molassas or a product called Medina-Plus will help to re-claim the land.

Try looking or posting over in the Ranch forum for some info.

Post subject: Pinckards WELCOME!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:11 pm 

May I suggest you contact forum member Bluestem to talk about hay...his won grand prize last fall!

There are several forum contributors/members who farm sustainably or organically and would be happy to offer help, advice or commiserate with you. You have our gratitude and blessings (and some land envy) for being willing to learn and go organic. If you are willing to read about sustainable farming, may I suggest Joel Salatin's book "You Can Farm". It is stuffed with valuable information and advice, including coordinating needs of various livestock.

We welcome you with a warm heart and hopes that we can be of service.
Kathe :wink: