It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:48 am 

As a newbie to organic lawn care, I would like to get some directions on applying Beneficial Nematodes. If any of you have applied them in the past, please let me know how to spray them. Secondly, how long can you store the packet of nematodes in the fridge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:24 pm 

I know I've answered that question in detail before. Please do a search on this site.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:28 pm 

Basically you squeeze them out of the sponge into a gallon of water and spray that water on the yard with a hose end sprayer. They come on a blue sponge and look like a dab of snot. You rinse them off the sponge until the snotty appearance is totally gone and you're ready to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:51 am 

OR if you get them in a packet with organic material, put all the container contents in gallon bucket, let it sit for 15 minutes or so, and then strain into a sprayer or watering can through an old pantyhose leg or other tightly woven material so you just have tiny nematodes and particles small enough not to stop up your sprayer. Mix with as much water as you like and then spread them as far as they will go. I found out that they work best if you have well aerated & compost happy soil and water before you put them down.

Check them before you go to all this trouble to make sure they are alive. Most retailers will take them back if they are dead when you get them. I have had problems with dead packages in the past. If your retailer has had them for longer than 2 weeks, pass and ask for fresh ones. Many retailers now wait until they have enough requests to order and then pass them out as soon as they are received from the growers. THat system gave me the best results I've ever had.

Kathe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:42 am 

In addition to what Kathe said, they really work the very best if you put them out before you need them by a few weeks. That gives them a chance to multiply. This is sort of a general rule for organic anything.

I put them out on the last (predicted) day of a rainstorm. That ensures you have enough moisture in the soil for them to multiply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:07 am 

Thank you all for your help! I hope the nematodes are alive. I bought them on Feb. 20 & assumed they would be sold alive. So, Kathe, is one supposed to open up the packet of nematodes in the store to verify if they are alive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:22 pm 

Here's a good link on nematodes from U.Conn.

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/homegrnd/htms/39nemat.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:00 pm 

Thanks a lot, Bostonian.