It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:04 am 

I just read something that said a dog could live to be be nearly 30 years old if it was fed properly. The point they were making was that commercial dog food is the wrong thing for dogs.

Wild dogs eat whole animals, raw, from tip to tail including feathers, beaks, toenails, guts, and all. Has anyone ever had a dog as old as 20 years? and what did you feed it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:49 am 

Do a search for BARF (Bones And Raw Food) and you might very well find some answers that you're looking for. I don't have any direct experience with the diet but I've heard lots of good things about it in terms of it being a healthier alternative than your more conventional/commercial dog foods.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:05 am 

Here are a few that I turned up.

American Grassfed Beef - Dog and Cat BARF Diet

Willow Glen BARF diet info

BARF Pictorial

There's more sites out there than you can shake a bone at..

And this from the JRTCA, which mentions some authors of books on the subject.

Quote:
Question:
: I have been looking into feeding my terrier a raw food diet for some time now, and was wondering if one of the forum reps that feeds a BARF diet could comment on what combinations of raw foods and supplements they feed. I have been trying to look into as many information sources as possible (Billinghurst, Pitcairn etc) and just want some practical advice.
: Thanks

Response:

Hi Danielle,

I definitely suggest reading Billinghurst's book as a starting point. You won't meet two people who feed BARF that feed exactly the same way. :o) If you'd like to email me privately, please feel free to do so and I'll give you a breakdown of exactly what I feed. [email address removed]

For anyone considering a homecooked or raw diet, please get one of the books and start there. While it's not an "exact science", it does need to be balanced. Not every day, but over time.

Jane

Hope that gets you started..

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:44 am 

Thanks. We had a holistic vet come talk to our organic garden group a while back. I had forgotten about her BARF diet for dogs.

So has anyone tried it and had a dog live much longer than normal?

Post subject: old dogs
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:14 am 

We had "Milo" a 'cock-a-schnoodle' live to be 19 yrs and actually had to put him down at that age. I think he would have 'gone' in a few weeks but was not a 'happy' dog the last 2-3 days & we couldn't bear to see him getting so 'decrepit'. We didn't feed him anything unusual, so I think genetics plays a big part, just as it does in humans. We gave him very few table scraps, tho, and he reluctanly ate dry dog food maybe the last 1/2 of his life. Maybe the secret is lots of love?
pjva (Patty)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:29 am 

I'd imagine that looking through some of the books on the subject might give you some information regarding greater life expectancy. Here's Amazon's listings of BARF related books.

Natural pet diet books

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:34 am 

I had a Great Dane, Cookie that died a couple months ago at the age of 13 years and 7 months. She died of spleen cancer but for a Dane she was beyond her years. Her diet was not too good when she was younger (cheap dry food). But 4 years ago I got educated about diet from my new holistic vet,Dr. Bozeman. I still have 2 Danes and they eat Chicken Soup For the Dog Lovers' Soul food which is comparable to Muenster Natural. If I could afford it I would feed a BARF diet.