It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:35 pm 

A friend of mine is putting green sand on their lawn. She says it is supposed to green up the lawn. Is it the same green sand that is used to make metal castings? How does it make grass greener?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:14 pm 

Green sand is 10-20% iron and a great organic nutrient source for grass and the soil. It also helps lessen soil compaction over the years. Use it at 15-20 lbs per 1000 sq ft. I mix mine 50-50 w/ lava sand when I toss it out.

I know that green sand is used in metal casting for the molds, but do not know if it is this Texas green sand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:55 pm 

Greensand used in gardening is a complicated mineral called glauconite. It seems to have a little bit of everything in it.

Interestingly, while it has significant iron in it, the iron is ferric iron and not the available ferrous iron. It seems that there are other properties of glauconite that allow other bound up iron already in your soil to be released, so that seems to be the mechanism by which it greens up the lawn. If you don't have an iron problem, greensand will not help you. Most grass is yellowish because it is not getting fed with nitrogen. Any organic fertilizer will help with that.