It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cat with dandruff?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:50 am 

Okay my poor cat either has the worst case of dandruff or really dry skin. :( I mean the flakes are ridiculous they go from about the middle of his back all the way to the base of his tail. Felix is a black and white short hair about 7 years old. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:43 am 

What kind of food are you using? When I was at the animal shelter in Wylie, the SPCA one, the cats had dandruff and the volunteer said it was from the cheap food they were using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:07 am 

Okay I will be honest I do not feed him the most expensive food. I also do not feed him the cheapest. He has had this problem for a while but not the entire time he has been eating that food. I recently changed him to the Purina Indoor Cat Formula Cat Food. He is probably about as pickey as they get when it comes to his food, but I need him to lose some weight. He is a bit pudgey. I have also cut back on how much he gets each day. :?

Chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:08 am 

I have a rather pudgy middle-aged spayed calico who has this same kind of pattern of dandruff. She eats Science Diet for seniors because the other cat in the house is older and the vet says they can both eat the same thing. We've tried brushing but that doesn't seem to be enough to stimulate the skin to produce natural oils to relieve the problem. Any additives to her diet we can consider? She's a happy otherwise healthy cat.

Northwesterner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:43 pm 

Our seven year old tabby had the same dandruff problem. She started having problems with drinking a lot of water. The vet said that she has diabetes. Not wanting to inject her with insulin for the rest of her life, we did research into changing her feed. We started feeding her a balanced raw meat only diet. Not only did her diabetes disappear, but within two weeks, her dandruff did also. Look at site www.catinfo.org, a vet run web site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:00 pm 

Your link didn't work--a comma snuck into it.

http://www.catinfo.org/

This should work. Thanks for the reference to this site! I have a vet friend I'll ask about this (that always-helpful second opinion!)

Northwesterner

Post subject: Cat with Dry Skin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. Feed them Muenster Cat Food (if they will eat it)

2. Put just a tad of vinegar in the drinking water. Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar (Get at Sprouts or Whole Foods)

3. Mix some of the above vinegar and water together. Rub on the cat's coat. This will stimulate the cat to wash its coat...the vinegar helps with the flakes by washing their coat, the vinegar gets into the cat. So it is a double effect.

4. I have used Plant Wash on my cats and it has helped with the dandruff. I dilute it and rub into the coat......

That is it.

I currently have 2 cats both aged 12 and they are full of life and have beautiful coats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:09 am 

The "Missing Link" supplement has helped a lot of animals (and people Too).

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=2097