It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:29 pm 

Two of my Euonymus Japonica are heavily infested with scale insects and powdery mildew and getting rid of the shrubs is not an option to me. Asian Jasmine s beginning to grow into one of the shrubs but I think I can cut it out. I’m trying a dormant oil I just sorda concocted made of 1 oz joy dishwashing detergent, 2 oz of vegetable oil, 1.5 oz d-limonene, 1 fl oz of baking soda and 3 cups compost tea per gallon. It seems to be working well on the scale but I need a plan of attack on the white powder mildew. Should I use plain baking soda and/or cornmeal or corn gluten meal juice on the fungus????? What amounts of whatever concoction should I use?? If I get all the diseases under control what combination of mulchs should I put down to get the shrubs as healthy and happy as possible?? Black Cow, corn meal, cedar mulch mix????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:28 pm 

Boy you packed a lot into one little message!

For the powdery mildew, spread about 3 cups of cornmeal on the ground and work into the soil around the base of the plant. Water it in. YOu can also soak some cornmeal in water and add that to your concoction for scale. It will help.

The rest of the sick tree treatment will be beneficial; compost, green sand, lava sand, and then mulch on top. Shredded cedar is always the best mulch, especially when you have insect problems and a sick plant already.

Make sure you don't water so often that the soil stays too moist. That is a sure way to cause problems. Working in the cornmeal and other materials to the soil will help to aerate it and allow better oxygen penetration, which will help the overall problem. Check the soil to see if it is drying out some. Give it a little time.

Good luck. Hope this helps! :D
Kathe