It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:02 am 

I am helping my boss plant the front flower beds at our office building. These two rectangular beds are adjacent to the parking lot, where they receive lots of sun and heat. Our concerns are: people may occasionally run over the plants, plants will be dependent on three times a week automatic sprinkler; we do not want to have to do anything to them after we plant them; we want perennials, etc. In other words, plants need to be tough, drought resistant, low growing and basically care for themselves.

I am thinking of a combination of Butterfly Blue Scabiosa and some sort of Dianthus, possibly Firewitch.

There is abundant asian jasmine already in place surrounding these beds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:02 pm 

How low growing? Lantana gets up to 3' but will come back year after year and loves heat. Lavender does well too. Dianthus of various types should do quite well and come back each year. Verbena comes in various colors and is quite beautiful with its velvety leaves and petals. Gazania blooms nicely and comes back, as does mealy blue sage.

No matter what you choose, put the cost of mulch in your budget. It will help the plants survive between waterings because it helps deter evaporation, it will regulate the temperature around the plants' roots keeping them cooler in summer and warmer in winter. And a bottle of seaweed and a foliar sprayer to give them a weekly spritz will keep them happy and blooming.

Hope that helps!
Kathe :D