It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: HOT PEPPERS
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:24 pm 

:?: DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY PLACE IN THE DALLAS AREA WHERE I CAN PURCHASE HOT PEPPER PLANTS-NOT SEEDS? :? I CAN FIND THE USUALL HABENEROS AND JALAPENOS BUT I WOULD LIKE TO TRY SOME THE SO CALLED " HOTTEST PEPPERS IN THE WORLD " : . HELP PLEASE! :o

THANKS

PAULETTE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:52 pm 

Try going to special health food stores, or the produce department, or even the spice department of grocery stores. You can sprout almost any special whole seeds from fresh vegetables or from whole spice seeds. It works for me!

Happy Gardening!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:10 pm 

Paulette,
What are you calling the 'Hottest Peppers in the World" I thought that HABENEROS were the hottest measuring 300,000 scovales.

Post subject: PEPPER PLANTS
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:41 pm 

I don't know. :( For others, she wants PLANTS, not seeds! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:41 am 

I thought the Scotch Bonnet was the hottest pepper out there?

Well, I looked googled it, and it ties with the Habanero. And the hottest recorded being a specific kind of Habanero, the Red Savina Habanero.

Good luck Paulette. My grandfather swore that you could plant two of the same pepper and get different degrees of heat, depending on how much sun the plant got. Go for blistering Texas sun. That's a start.

If we find plants somewhere, I'll write and let you know.

Post subject: link
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:41 am 

Oops. I meant to give you link I found on Google. Here it is:

http://www.chemsoc.org/exemplarchem/ent ... oville.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:19 pm 

I don't know if you have any feed stores in your area, but we have one here that sells lots of varieites of pepper plants. Last year I planted one called Caribbean Red (if I remember correctly). It was pretty darned hot, and a beautiful plant too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:15 pm 

My research indicates that the hottest pepper on Earth is the White Bullet, which is a Habanero pepper! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:51 am 

I do believe their is a pepper that is hotter than the Habanero. The Habanero is the hottest pepper in edible form. The red habanero is even hotter than that. I cant remember the name of this pepper, but its considered hazardous to your health, therefore I don't think its sold. I think they are grown by mexican people and they use it in foods, very sparingly. They are about the size of a b-b or maybe a little bigger. I have heard of two people who ate one, showing off, just to prove they could do it and in both instances were rushed to the ER. One person tells this story is a very close friend of mine and it happened to a friend of hers and the other was an aunt, who also knew first hand of it causing someone to be rushed to ER.

I do state clearly though that the habenero is the hottest pepper I have ever encountered and if this be true about the other one, then I dare never put it in my mouth. If I can come up with the name, I will post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:40 pm 

http://www.batnet.com/rwc-seed/Pepper.w ... ttest.html

I think you are talking about what we call the chili tepin pepper. I have a plant that I've grown for years. If it is what I think you are talking about--the Mockingbirds love them. Is this what you are referring to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:30 am 

Yes, I believe it is also. I talked with my Aunt this weekend, and she said she thought it was a Chili Petine, so I am sure your spelling is correct, chili tepin. I just looked it up on the internet and found this statement.
Tepin’s are the world’s hottest peppers ranging up to 60,000 SCU

can you imagine putting that in your mouth? I would love to have a plant for my birds, where do you get them?

ladonna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:39 am 

I found this at http://www.batnet.com/rwc-seed/pepper.h ... scale.html

Last edited by lplott on Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:30 pm 

I have heard it called "petin" - "tepin" and "tequin"....so I did a search and looks like that is common:

http://www.samcgees.com/webpost/d1/c3/h ... htm?rnd=76

All I do know, is they are HOT and I love the greens ones with hot cider vinegar poured over them for a nice flavored sauce with black-eyed peas.

The website that I linked in my post on the 18th is a place for ordering the seeds and they are very easy to grow. Did not know it was considered the Texas chili???

Edit P.S. I think I saw on the above site mention of someone finding the plants at Walmart!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:29 pm 

I found on this web page http://users.visi.net/~mandy/pepguide.html#scoville that the habanero is the hottest pepper measuring between 200,000 - 300,000 scoville units
Pure capsaicin measures 16 million scoville units. I guess it depends on which web page you want to believe as to which pepper is the hottest. Give it a look-see. It lists other peppers scoville units as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:57 am 

One thing I do know is the habanero is so hot I cant eat it and I don't like the flavor at all, but I love to grow them. I have several frozen, so I plan on using them for making hot pepper sprays. I am growing some of the red habanero's this year. :D

I know of two people who have had to be rushed to ER for trying to be big shots and eating those Tepin or Petin, or whatever they are called, so I am certain of one thing, I will never eat one. :shock: I would, however, love to find some seed or a plant for to set out for my birds. :P If mockingbirds love them, then I think that would be so nice to have around for them.