It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Limping Live Oaks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:38 pm 

I live in an established neighbrohood in East Fort Worth, appropriately called Oak Hill. The backyard is all post oaks, but I have three large live oaks in the front yard. One of them is doing just fine, but the other two have about half (or less) the amount of leaves. I had some professional tree people out to cut down some other trees this winter and some of them noted a fine gray lichen-like material in some places on the bark of the two limping trees. Both the struggling trees have many other shrubs, understory trees and monkey and mondo grass competing with them. The tree that's doing fine only has to compete with a lawn.

I'm really not sure what to do about these trees. I've torn out the monkey grass around one of them and replaced it with a few shade-loving bedding plants like hostas and ferns. I've removed some of the competeing trees (a cherry laurel and a Japanese magnolia) from near the other one. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much!

P.S.
Forgot to mention that one of those oaks is also competing with a large cypress that's planted in the little sidewalk median. This tree is also limping along and leafs out almost a month later than other cypress trees in town. I forget about it because it's on the other side of the fence and I only see it when I'm coming home at night!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:42 am 

Basic thinkgs to look into-

What sort of feeding is the lawn receiving? If it's not a natural organic program, it needs to be.

You've narrowed it down to seemingly competition as the cause, so I'd recommend the sick tree treatment to give them a jolt of good stuff and then keep an eye on things.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:17 pm 

We moved into the house 2 years ago. I'm not sure what it was getting before, but I haven't fed anything since then. I've been more focused on just clearing out weeds and competing trees and brush, plus getting married and having surgery. This yard was beautifully landscaped as a low-maintenance Japanese garden many years ago, but 6+ years of neglect turned it into an overgrown eyesore full of cherry laurel, photinia and ileagnes (sp?). There was no room and no sunlight for anything to grow.

Speaking of the lawn, I know it also needs feeding, but I'm not sure what kind of grass it is or how to organically feed the lawn and trees. Now that I've torn out all the juunk, I'm tilling in compost to the beds I'm reconditioning this weekend and adding good plants in there. I am just clueless when it comes to fertilizer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:37 am 

Well for normal feeding I like to give it some BioForm Dry (40lbs/1000ft²) and some dry horticultural molasses (20lbs/1000ft²) to give the soil, lawn and trees some food to work with. Sustane is also a good one.

Also, since you've not given it anything else and as like as not the last owner string it out on chemicals, you should give the lawn and thereby the trees some minerals. Add any or all of the following and your land will thank you:

Volcanite (40lb/1000ft²) for a good mix of energy, iron, and minerals
Lava Sand (40lb/1000ft²) energy and minerals
Green Sand (20lb/1000ft²) iron
Epsom Salts (5lb/1000ft²) Magnesium and Sulfur

Those should give it a good shot of health. Remember that caring for the yard takes care of the trees.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.