It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: whiteflies on gardenias
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:21 am 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have lots of white flies on my gardenias. I sprayed yesterday with pepper spray and Garrett juice...they are still there Does anyone know how often I need to spray to get rid of them...also,can I use ladybugs after spraying with those solutions. I am new to this organic stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:22 pm 

I read on another website that you can use Pantene ProV clarifying shampoo added to water and spray it on the plants. I've never tried it myself, but if all else fails, you could give it a try. I think the poster said she put a few drops in a quart of water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:50 pm 

I would not use Pantene on my plants. Maxicrop or another liquid seaweed spray will work. Make sure you get the undersides of the leaves. Best to apply in the early morning or early evening. Ladybugs and other beneficials will not be harmed. Make sure to keep it shaken up real well, too.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:40 pm 

Thanks for the response...do you know how often I can spray with the seaweed solution?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:45 am 

Once a week should be fine. If it rains, you may wish to reapply.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:51 am 

I had sooty mold on my gardenias and sprayed several times with diluted dishwashing liquid. This controlled the mold minimally. Now, after several weeks I have an infestation of white flies on my gardenias in addition to the sooty mold. I tried to wash them away with a heavy spray of water from a hose. No luck. I will try the seaweed spray and see how that works. As far as how often, I guess until the whiteflies are gone. I hope that the mold and the flies are gone before the buds appear. Help !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 4:20 pm 

How diluted was the dishwashing liquid and how often was it applied? Dishwashing detergent is not real good to use in excess. I like using Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap, a teaspoon per gallon as a surfactant in the vinegar herbicide formula.

Garlic pepper spray is a good thing to add to the seaweed to keep whiteflies at bay. One major thing I did not mention before is that adding a good bit colloidal phosphate to your soil will certainly improve this condition! :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:56 am 

Thanks for the info....I have pepper spray...doesn't say anything about Garlic in it...will that still be effective or can I add garlic to it??? If so, how?
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:03 pm 

You do not have to add garlic, it just helps a bit. If you were so inclined, you could strain some crushed garlic juice and put it in there, but that is a lot of trouble to go to. I like to purchase premade products such as that. I do have a compost pile, but that's as far as I go in making my own stuff. More time to garden!

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:19 pm 

You've been really helpful...I am new to all of this and I have lots to learn!
I think I will go your route and use my time for gardening...and buy most things. I have sprayed the whiteflies several times with the fishoil and the pepper spray and even some Garrett Juice and they are still lots of them (though not as many) any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It is so tempting just to zap them with insecticide but I am holding strong :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:20 pm 

Check out the last two posts (as of this moment) at:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3410

The Laws of Ecology: