It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:20 am 

Honestly, this being its first season in the ground, I say give it time.

Foliar feed it, with emphasis on seaweed, and just watch it. If by next spring it hasn't firmed up, then you might need to do a little light pruning (though not topping!) to lighten the load a bit.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:15 am 

Ent,
I thought I reploied to you a while back, I guess not. Anyway, I think I will let it go till it is obvious it can't make it. Do you think it is a good idea to stake it asd high as I can get or not. Presently I have it staked about mid-ways and about 2 feet from the top. The mid staking is on 2 sides and the upper one is only on one side. The tree appears to be attempting to grow straight up, but any new height added will make it want to fall over more IMO. I do see some evidence of it trying to produce longer branching on the lower limbs, but not much. Tree is about 10' tall and about 2' wide at its widest branching. I know I sound impatient, but I want to give it every chance I can.

Thanks - GBC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:03 pm 

You do have a skinny tree. It must have been nursery grown in very tight quarters. Do all the right things and your tree will make it. I would not stake it any further and as soon as it starts firming up I would take the stakes off but that is according to how much wind you receive. Play it by ear but like you said give the tree a chance to make it. You will look at at it one day remembering what you did for it and smile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:26 am 

You can always try spanking a young tree.

No, really:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_trees_shrub ... 86,00.html

'Spanking a tree with a stick actually helps it grow straight. But be gentle as you hit the tree so you don't injure it. A few light taps every few days with a small stick--such as a broom handle--up, down and around the trunk will do the job.' ~Paul James

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject: spanking tree
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:29 am 

Your spanking post cracked me up. I have heard people say that spanking would improve fruit yield on poor producing trees. If anyone knows why this "spanking" helps, it would be very interesting.

"Spare the rod & spoil the tree"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:24 am 

Well technically it's the equivalent of working out a muscle. You stress muscle tissue and it reacts by growing stronger. Same principle. Very mildly stressing the trunk simulates it getting bent a bit this way and that in the wind, and that results in a stronger trunk.

Exactly the opposite effect is why we don't stake trees long term. They get used to the extra support and grow weakly, so that when the support is removed, it falls over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:40 am 

Whacking a tree with a rolled up newspaper cause the sap to flow stronger like it is moving to an injured spot thus increasing the strength of the tree. In the old times they also did this on Maple trees to get more of the sap for syrup.