It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:07 pm 

If I did not want to get rid of my Bermuda or if I wanted a "blend" of grass. Couldn't I overseed with Buffalo Grass and water less?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:46 pm 

What's wrong with your bermuda?

Buffalo is the thinnest "turfgrass" I've ever seen. It is a weed patch waiting to happen. I don't know how it even got to market.

What are you trying to achieve?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:02 pm 

My landscape was a "typical" builders package. Over time I have altered the landscape to require less and less water/ Xeriscaped.

The only thing that requires alot of water is my grass. I thought if I overseeded with Buff grass I could at least have some grass that looked good in the summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:53 pm 

Yes, overseeding with buffalo grass is worth a try if your bermuda grass is very thin. However, this mix will look a little wild and won't give you the look of a smooth, finely manicured lawn -- and whether or not you want that should be your own choice. Some people, like the guys at the seed store, will shout at you that the bermuda will just choke out the buffalo grass. This problem can be reduced if you mow and water according to the needs of the buffalo grass rather than the bermuda grass, and avoid fertilizer. If you are xeriscaping, that shouldn't be a problem. But buffalo grass can't get a toehold in a thick, healthy stand of bermuda. I think I would prefer to take out the bermuda and give the buffalo grass a clean slate to start with. Still, if starting a lawn from scratch is not an option, I think overseeding with buffalo is worth a try.