It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TX Ash and Aphids
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:59 am 

I have two TX Ash that I planted last summer. They were B&B trees about 8 ft. tall. They have been attacked pretty bad with aphids this year. I have applied two applications of garlic/pepper tea. When the rains end I will spray with Garret Juice and apply the sick tree treatment.

I live on 2 acres and there were tons of lady bugs and larve, and I have seen wasps going through the curling leaves. These benificials however have not been able to keep up with the aphids.

Will the summer heat kill the aphids? Should I begin the garlic/pepper tea in early spring next year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:04 am 

I wonder if they might be planted too deep? Can you see the root flair? Since they are both in stress, (aphids only attack weak plants) this might be the problem. If so, you can find several recommendations for this at dirtdoctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:55 am 

Can you verify that it is actually aphids that are the culprit?

Are the leaves affected just the newest growth, curled, and does a sort of sugary/starchy residue seem to be on them?

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:54 pm 

One was (the root flare is now exposed) but it is not as affected. The other was not planted too too deep (about only 2 inches) but it's flare is now exposed also.

The aphids are attacking mostly new growth. Yes, I'm certain they are aphids. They are just a pictured via photographs from bug photos. They are sticky. The lady bugs and wasps are definitely eating them. I can actually pull a limb down close-up and watch them eat with them being bothered by me.

I have applied purchased "Sick Tree Treatment" from Redenta's and have also begun spraying with "Garret Juice". This after spraying with garlic/pepper tea.

I have read the even the Texas Ash will have some problems with aphids and was wondering if this was so true that I would have to prepare to spray with garlic/pepper tea when the buds begin showing next spring. Hopefully applying the "sick tree treatment" and foliar feeding will help with this issue in coming years.

Thanks for responding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:06 am 

Well, whenever I find I've had some aphids at work, I release a thousand or so laybugs. I used to get them on the apple trees in the spring. Not any more. I've taken to the habit of releasing them needed or no some time in march, although I've found that we seem to have a self-sustaining population now.

If the garlic/pepper didn't runthem off, I'd mix it stronger next time. But If you can find them, and I know a lot of organic stores still hav them, I'd put out a tub or two of ladybugs, around dusk, after spraying the tree with just a bit of water since they'll be thirsty first, hungry second.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.