It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Shade tolerant screen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:58 pm 

I would like to create a screen between my house and my neighbor's house but the area is pretty heavily shaded (some filtered sun) by post oaks. My problem is height -- I need something that will grow to 8 or 10 feet since my neighbor's house is on a slight rise. I also don't want to put in something that will be too thick/obnoxious (I like my neighbor - I just don't want to watch him doing dishes). The space open for planting is about 10 feet long and 4 feet wide.

Any suggestions on what I can plant? I plan on amending the soil for whatever I plant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:07 pm 

Red-tipped photinia is a rapid grower, and it does not need full sun...It can be sort of messy, but it does grow pretty quick...and it is hard to kill! My neighbors put in photinia about four years ago, and they are already over ten feet tall. It is something to think about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:46 pm 

Sorry for the belated thanks for the reply. I haven't tackled my project yet, although I'm getting closer, as evidenced by today's post inquiring about material sources for a small dry stone retaining wall.

I've read that red-tipped photinia has problems with disease. Any truth to that rumor?

Any idea how Carolina Allspice or Nelle R. Stevens Holly would perform? They both purport to do well in shade and grow to decent size. Of course, I don't think I've ever seen Carolina Allspice in a local nursery.