It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tree stump removal
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:01 am 

Looking for infromation on removing tree trunks. I have several tree trunks and would like to find a way to remove them so I can till the area for a garden. Any suggestions. Was told once to drill holes in the stump and pour buttermilk in and let sit. But nothing after that that would say how long and how to burn :?: :?: :? :?

I Wish you "Enough"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:38 am 

From Howard's Info pages: Hire a tree care company to use a stump grinder to munch them below the soil surface. Death of the stump will be quicker that way. Or, drill holes in the stump, fill the holes with sugar, moisten and cover with a thick layer of mulch. The sugar can be white sugar, molasses, old jellies and jams or any other type you might have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:10 pm 

I also have the same question but the stumps are actually "living" stumps. They are Red Oak trees that were cut down before we purchased the land/house. Some stumps are approximately 15 to 25 inches in diameter or smaller. We grow tired of the water sprouts - not sure if that is the correct term - and we remove them quite frequently since the stumps are so close to the house and yard. We are also scared of Oak Wilt so we have stopped cutting back the sprouts but would like to get the stumps removed. Hiring a tree care company is not feasible at this time so trying the other organic methods described in this forum sound promising.

Questions:
By drilling holes and applying a sugar product and covering with mulch will this keep the sprouts from coming back...gradually?

Is there anything else we can do to speed up the decay process?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.