It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:43 pm 

Also can you give all options of treatment - sulpher and otherwise. Suburban house yard has been infested for years.

Post subject: Chigger woes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:44 pm 

Spread sulfur at no more than 5 lbs. per 1,000 square feet. That will help a lot immediately. You can get spreadable, wettable sulfur at almost any garden store. Spread it in the evening as it will turn foliage on your grass and plants in full sun at temps over 85 degrees F. Then water it in...it's stinky! You can mix it with cornmeal to make it easier if you like.

Chiggers are a sure sign of dry soil. If you water regularly but still have problems, soil amendments are called for. Regular application of molasses is sure to help quickly. Beneficial nematodes will be helpful as they will parasitize some of the insects and others that are sure to be present if you have chiggers.

Hope that helps! :D
Kathe

Post subject: Chigger treatment
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:13 am 

Thanks so much for the info.

I am allergic to sulfa drugs. Do you know if sulfa and sulfer are related :?:

Post subject: Sulfur Questions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:35 pm 

Yes, sulphur is a basic chemical in sulfa drugs. I have reacted to sulfa drugs in the past, but don't have a problem with elemental sulfur either on its own or in a fertilizer. You have to be the judge. As an alternative you might try the broadcasting of diatomaceous eart if we are (finally!) in for a dry spell OR the Bioganic products which are effective but not devastating to the microbial and insect life in your yard.

For you, plan B would be to boost the health of your soil so the chiggers will be eliminated naturally. Watering regularly so the soil is more moist than preferred by chiggers. Soil amendments will make a big difference. Easiest is molasses, compost or compost tea, a good organic fertilizer and cornmeal. Mix the fertilizer and cornmeal in the spreader and put it down, then water in with liquid molasses mixed with water in a hose end sprayer. Water as usual and you should see some relief in a short time.
To get an idea of what you are doing to the soil, compare the problems of a stagnant pond (your yard) to one that is brimming with fish and other water creatures, plants and birds (your yard in 2 weeks). BIG difference!

Go get 'em!
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:15 pm 

Don’t worry about an allergy to elemental sulfur. I would think it would be impossible to develop an IgE mediated type 1 hypersensitivity reaction/allergy to a simple diatomic element such as sulfur, oxygen, or nitrogen. The structure is just to small for your body to make an IgE antibody, which is a good thing. Sulfa drugs are made of large molecules that happen to have sulfur cemented into its structure and are large enough and unique enough for your body’s immune system to see it and create IgE antibodies for it. However it is not beyond the realm of possibility that there could be some contaminants in your sulfur that could elicited an immune response but I doubt it.

Last edited by epi 1:10,000 on Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Sulfur
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:06 pm 

Thank you, epi:10,000!!!
You have explained to Debbie and I why sulfa drugs bother us but sulfur does not (in my case, anyway). I appreciate your sharing your more in-depth knowledge of chemicals and chemistry. 8) I found it doubtful that a basic element like sulfur would cause such a response, but have learned as I grow older that "never" is one of those words one should use sparingly!

Kathe :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:59 pm 

EPI - Thanks so much for your responses re: sulpha allergy (small molecule) vs. sulfer (large molecule - not as likely to trigger antibodies) I will take that to heart in daring to try sulfer application, but as Kathe has stated, I won't rule out the possibility that there may be some fluke allergic risk.

Now the really important issue :P Are sulfer and the alternative treatments you mentioned Kathe safe for dogs and cats?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:18 pm 

Yes, caution is always prudent. If you notice any allergy symptoms when allying the sulfur please discontinue its use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:43 pm 

Is elemental sulfur the same as "dusting" sulphur? Is there such a thing as "granular" sulfur and if so, is it also effective in dealing with Chiggers? :?:

Also, how is the easiest way to spread sulfor over a two (2) acre lot? :?: For some reason, my spreader will not distribute the dusting sulfur.

Thanks so much!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:32 am 

Hmmmm My Hi Yield wettable dusting sulfur says it is 90 percent elemental sulfur and 10 percent inert ingredients. I would like to know what the inert ingredients are. I have no idea what other brands are or whether there is a legal definition for dusting and/or ganular sulfur that manufacturers must abide by. Here is a link to the MSDS of the product I have in my garage.

http://www.v-p-g.com/MSDS/HiYield/Dry_I ... 20MSDS.pdf

If you have a different product you can search for your particular product online and look up its MSDS.

I did find a cite that would lead me to believe that granular sulfer may be in the forn of an 8 sulfur atom ring known as rhombic sulfur.

http://wps.prenhall.com/wps/media/objec ... 0-17UN.JPG

As for spreding it, I have never had the need to do it so I have no idea.