It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:08 am 

I recieved an Avacado tree in a potted container it haves a few leaves on it. Need advice!! How to care for this Avacado tree. Do i leave it in this container, or plant it outside? Does it need sun? How much water? Please help!! Heres my picture.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:56 am 

Haven't grown them here, but in Florida they prefer full sun, plenty of water.

However, the one we had died in the first significant freeze we had down there, and North Texas gets colder longer than it did in West Central Florida. It may not make the winters here, at least not long term.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject: Kept mine indoors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:07 pm 

I grew on from seed, I planted it in a pot of my wifes flowers. It suprised me by actually sprouting. I took it to work and set it in a window facing south. Watered it as it needed(when I remembered). It grew to about four feet in one year. I tried to keep it at home by bringing it inside during winter months, but it died after 2 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:50 pm 

DEB789
What kind of avacado tree is it? My mother started one from me about 2 years ago from the pit. It is planted in the same kind of black 5 gallon pot as yours. The leaves look different. I keep mine in the house when it gets to cold outside for it. It is about 18 inches tall. I believe they like hot weather because it does better outside in the summer when it is good and hot. I bring it in if there is bad weather with alot of wind. It looks real healthy. I water it once a week but mist the leaves each morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:07 pm 

How deep should the pit be planted? Should I try to sprout it inside or outside?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:40 pm 

She took the pit and put one toothpick in each side about 2/3 the way up and let the bottom part dangle in water until a root developed. Then she planted the pit about 1/2 way down in the soil with the root going straight down. It grew from there. I tried it, but I guess my thumb was not green enough. It is still planted in the same black 5 gallon pot and doing real good. Guess one reason is she took the dirt out of her garden that has beem 100% orgain since 1988.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:07 pm 

Thanks Gar, I'll give it a try.