It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:57 pm 

Our lawn mower has died. We are interested in purchasing a battery powered electric mower. Can anyone suggest a good one, or even help us steer clear from a bad one. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:29 pm 

Ck Consumer Reports magazine at the library or get on line at:

http://www.consumerreports.org

To access their on-line info. you may have to join. From what I've read, they are not too good unless you have a very small yard. A lot of the new gas mowers are very efficient nowadays due to regulations. You can ck this at consumer reports also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:31 pm 

Never having owned a battery or electric mower, I won't be able to offer any suggestions. I will second KHWOZs comment regarding relegating those machines to smaller yards. If your yard is small enough for an electric model, perhaps you would consider a push reel mower. These do an excellent job at cutting grass and the newer models are far more manageable than those of the '50s. there are very few maintenance issues other than blade sharpening. While it is more expensive to sharpen the multi-blade than the rotary blades, it has been my experience that you can go several years on a single sharpening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:57 pm 

I got a Black and Decker battery powered mower from Home Depot two years ago. I'm real happy with it. Sears battery mower is the same mower as the B&D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:26 pm 

I have had a Black & Decker battery operated mower for three years and love it. It is a 24 volt, 19" mulching mower with detachable bag. My yard is about 700 s.f. and I have gotten at least 3 mowings to each charge. I put it back on the charger just in case. So, I don't really know how long it could go before actually needing to be recharged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:09 am 

I bought a push real mower from Home Depot (Scott's Classic, $110) about a year ago. It was hard to use at first but now I love it. I actually look forward to mowing the lawn!

I tried a battery operated mower before that and wound up taking it back. Not enough power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:19 pm 

Ditto what Susan said but my yard was almost twice hers in size.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:30 pm 

I'm also in the market for either an electric or a push reel mower and I'm inlined to get a push reel model. My main concern is that my lawn is St. Augustine which I understand prefers a very high cut and all of the push reel mowers I've seen are fixed at a low cut height.

Is a push reel mower a reasonable solution for a St. Augustine lawn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:25 pm 

Nugget,

IIRC Scott's has a reel mower that is adjustable from 1" to 3". Should be plenty high enough for your St. Augustine. My mower is an American/Great States and is adjustable (again relying on recollection) from @ 1/2" to 2 1/2".

Post subject: electric reel mower
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:59 pm 

I've used a battery powered reel mower to do my lawn this summer. I have a large yard - over 6500 sq. ft. front and back. I like the mower because it's easy to start and push, lightweight and very portable. What I don't like about it - it's not as powerful as a gas mower so I end up mowing over patches 2 or 3 times to get the tough weeds down and the battery power plays out prettty quickly. It takes me all weekend to cut the front and back yard since I have to recharge the batteries in between cutting the front and back yard. Most people probably wouldn't want to take that much time to cut the grass. I ordered my mower online through Gardener's Supply and found extra batteries online at Yardiac.com.

Linda in Cedar Hill