It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:19 pm 

We have two ash tree we planted from seed from a family farm in Iowa.
This year both trees have bores and we'd like to get rid of them as these trees have a sentimental value as the Iowa family has died. Thanks for any/all help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:57 am 

Generally, there's nothing you can do about borers once they're in the tree.

You said the seed was from Iowa, but you don't mention where you are. What are the signs of borer damage?

What concerns me is that there is another new exotic pest (the Emerald Ash Borer) that's attacking Ash trees in the Midwest (centered around southeastern Michigan mainly, but spreading into Ohio and Indiana, with one infestation in Maryland that was eradicated). This is another exotic borer that attacks healthy as well as stressed trees.

If there's a chance you've got that insect hitting your trees, you need to contact your state board of agriculture or USDA APHIS representative. See this link:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/eab/

Post subject: ash borers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:31 am 

I think Howard says to stick a stiff wire in the holes to kill any live borers & then you can use his tree goop-find the recipe on the Home Page.
Plano Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:58 pm 

Really? He says that?

Generally, if you see large holes, those are usually the "emergence holes," where the adults came out after developing inside the tree. So they're long gone. In most cases the larvae that do most of the boring develop from eggs laid in tiny holes in the bark, then they bore tunnels that twist around in the phloem, and sometimes (depending on the species) go into the wood before pupating and emerging.

I find it hard to believe that you could do much with a wire; you won't see the holes where the eggs were laid, and with most species it's too late once there are emergence holes.

Prevention is key with bark or wood borers. In the case of the Emerald Ash Borer or Asian Longhorn Beetle (which, unlike most of our native pests, attack healthy trees), prayer couldn't hurt.

Last edited by saccharum on Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: borers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:55 pm 

Saccharum-
I got Howard's 'borer advice' from the home page: go to information: there's the alphabet near the bottom, click on 'B' for borers.
Plano Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:06 pm 

Aha. Thanks Patty!

The wire method could work for clearwing moth larvae, if you're lucky. I wasn't thinking before; they are one strong possibility for borers in ash trees.

Most borers are beetles, though, and I maintain that wire is unlikely to work for those, just based on their life cycles and feeding patterns.