It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:36 pm 

Hello Where can I find liquid molasses I have check with all the big feed store and feed mills in SE Oklahoma most have it but are not able to sell 50 gallons of it. They said they have no way of measuring it out.
One company said they sell me a tanker full but I do not need that munch. I have 2 plastic 50 gallon barrels that Pepsi came in. I have read some where you can buy it for a $1 per gallon. I would like to try 50 to 100 gallon on 50 acres

Post subject: liquid molasses
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:17 am 

You don't need 50 or 100 gal/ 50 acres.
When I put out my liquid fertilizer - 1 gal
sea water, 1 gal of humate, 1 gal molasses,
and 4.5 lbs of potassium nitrate to 100 gal
of water.
The molasses can be changed but 50 gal
to 50 acres is absolutely more than you
need. If I were going to spray 50 acres I
sure would add something else for the
trip. Liquid humate is good addition as it
will detoxify any chemicals from the past,
and it will add trace minerals. Adding bugs
in a jug is helpfull as it will insert beneficial
bacter into the soil and the molasses will
add food for the young bacteria as they
get a hold of you soil.
I buy 5 gals of food grade molassses from
my feed store. They are happy to fill my buckets.
Robert D Bard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:34 am 

cowboysheart wrote:
Hello Where can I find liquid molasses I have check with all the big feed store and feed mills in SE Oklahoma most have it but are not able to sell 50 gallons of it. They said they have no way of measuring it out.
One company said they sell me a tanker full but I do not need that munch. I have 2 plastic 50 gallon barrels that Pepsi came in. I have read some where you can buy it for a $1 per gallon. I would like to try 50 to 100 gallon on 50 acres

I gather you can't find a supplier that is able or willing to draw smaller quantities of molasses off from a storage tank or tank car. I have a couple of ideas, but no sure answers. One is to contact the Oklahoma Grain & Feed Association, 2309 N. 10th, Ste. E, Enid, OK 73701. Phone (580) 233-9516. FAX (580) 237-2131, and ask them if they can help you find a source for feed-grade molasses. (I hope that contact information is current). I doubt if an extension-type program or the agricultural/animal science departments at Oklahoma State University would know more about it than would the trade association, but they're possibilities also. Another is to check around the river port in Muskogee. There probably are storage and processing facilities that deal in molasses there. Regional feed mills, such as Big V Feeds in McAlester (1-800-722-8106), are a possibility also. If it is of any help, here is a link to a directory listing most feed stores in Oklahoma: http://www.polocenter.com/health/feedus.htm

If you run into a situation where they can draw smaller quantities off, but can't measure the volume accurately, see if they'll do it by weight. If you have that much trouble finding bulk product, it makes sense to buy enough at one time for multiple applications. Make sure you're getting molasses only, not sweet feed containing urea--unless you want the urea. As others on the forum have written, it isn't essential that the sugar source be molasses (although molasses contains more minerals than most processed sugars). Any sort of salvage sugar should work to some extent. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:39 pm 

Thanks for the information. I have a friend working for big V they have no way of selling a small amount. I have also check with some of the smaller feed mills, no luck yet.
Where do you buy your molasses, Robert D Brad? Is it straight Molasses? Where can you get the Humates and Potassium
cowboysheart

Post subject: molasses
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:49 am 

I found a new sourse of molasses north of
Bonham but so far smallest amount is 600
gal but he is looking into 55 gal. This pure
molasses with no additives. I have been
using stuff from the feed store at $1.00/gal
Potassium I got from Canada and with
shipping it was no cheap and I am
sure "big brother" looked into my purchase.
This is hard to find. The humic acid is from
Randy Mosley at www.enviromateinc.com. I
carry the ocean water. I used this combination
to restore hay medows this year and the
results were fantastic. One field was covered
with sandburs. Howard has always said that
sand burs were the result of lack of nutrition
in the soil. I did one application last fall before
frost to feed the plants before winter and
another on in May before the first cutting. I
just got out of that same field on Monday
and the sandburs were 90% less. My friend
is so sold on organics, that no longer trusts
the local fertilizer dealer. This man has enough
money to buy what he wants, but now knows
cheaper can be better.
I know how Howard is against "mining minerals"
from the soil to sell for hay and I agree, but the
next best thing is to replace the minerals that
were farmed out 50 + years ago and detoxify
at the same time as well as feeding the bacteria.
Robert D Bard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:28 am 

Robert,
What sort of set up do you use to spray your pastures? We have a sprayer with a fifty gallon tank. My husband and sons are all for organics but seem to shy away from spaying the pastures. We are all interested in the sea water. We have native grasses which are doing well considering they need some minerals and humate. JMcK/PMcK

Post subject: liquid fertilizer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:48 am 

I use a 200 gal sprayer on back of 50 horse tractor. It is run by PTO.
I use one gal sea water concentrate, one gal of liquid humate, on gal molasses (I amy increase this by one gal as I found out that molasses is 10% nitrate. I also found a source of molasses that has no additives from our good dog food company in Muenster - Muenster Milling) and 4 lbs of potassiun nitrate - nothing toxic - mined from the earth, all of this is mixed with one 100 gals of water. I then double this.
You and your family are miners - not farmers. Strip miners take the minerals from the land and never return them. If you run horses and/or cows yiu recycle the minerals, but if you cut hay and sell it to others then you are miners. It is very easy and CHEAP to replace the trace minerals on hay meadows and pastures. Your animals will love you because the will be eating better. I let our cows have a taste test and they picked the hay with trace minerals and ignored the regular hay (nothing toxic, just no fertilizer of any kind.
Good luck!
My sprayer does not have booms either - spray head works better, covers more area and the booms don't get broken off when you forget them and go through a fence.
Robert D Bard