It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Crab grass & Nut sedge
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:06 pm 

I have both of these affecting my bermuda grass. Can anyone provide me a good plan/prooduct to get rid of them now and a good plan/product/schedule for the future that will keep them away?

Thanks and I appreciate it,
Leonard
Lewisville, Tx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:31 pm 

***Disclaimer***I haven't tried it personally, so this is a reference and not a recommendation. This link is on the home page of the Dirt Doctor forum.

http://www.crabgrassalert.com/

For the nut grass, physical removal is the only thing I have found. This is nearly impossible in a lawn environment, so I just mow mine. It's green and a pretty fine blade, it looks OK to me. For some reason, I find it occuring more frequently in my St. Augustine than my Bermuda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:00 am 

Regarding the nutsedge, I am doing that but it is starting to spread even more now. Plus, when I mow the lawn, the next day the nutsedge has grown taller than the mowed grass and it remains that way until the next weekly mowing. Needless to say the yard then starts to look not so inviting.

I just bought some nutsedge killer and am going to spray the yard today so that should take care of that.

Regarding crabgrass, do you know where can I find some post emergent corn gluten to put down now to kill existing crabgrass? Also, would be helpful if someone knows of a yearly plan to rid my yard of this ugly weed.

Thanks,
L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:03 am 

llambert wrote:
Regarding crabgrass, do you know where can I find some post emergent corn gluten to put down now to kill existing crabgrass?

A couple of things here...
a) corn gluten meal is a pre-emergent - from the Dirt Doctor Information Center:

CORN GLUTEN MEAL

I feel very strongly that synthetic chemical pre-emergent herbicides should not be used on your lawn but a wonderful new natural pre-emergent herbicide can and should be used. Discovered by Dr. Nick Christians at Iowa State University. It’s called corn gluten meal, a common ingredient in pet food and livestock feed. It does a great job of reducing populations of many common weeds such as crabgrass, grassburs and other annual weeds. Put it out at 20 lbs. per 1,000 square feet (just like a fertilizer application). In fact, it is an excellent organic fertilizer. When? In north Texas, do it March 1st or there about and again June 1st for even greater control. The application for winter weeds should be done about September 15th. Unlike chemical herbicides, corn gluten meal replaces the need to buy additional fertilizer.

b) to kill the existing crabgrass, try the vinegar/orange oil/soap solution along with physical removal

c) for help in locating a source in your area, you will need to add some location information in your user profile and/or help yourself by checking in the Organic Business Directory which can also be found on the home page.

OK, that was more than a couple of things :)