It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:25 am 

I did some research and found a company in in TyTy, Georgia (TyTy Nursery) ( http://www.tytyga.com/index.htm ) which sells all manner of raspberry plants and other berry plants. His nursery in Georgia shares almost an exact spot on the Climate/Plant Hardiness Zone as the DFW area ( http://www.tytyga.com/zonemap.html ) and when i called the proprietor about it, he said that any raspberry variety can grow in this area, but he did recommend to me the Dorman Red cultivar which can be grown in Climate Zones up to 11a (DFW area is 8a).

I wanted to ask the forum essentially two things. Do you think his advice squares up with what you know about this area, climatologically and horticulturally, and if so, why do the "experts" in the dirtdoctor.com forum say it is virtually impossible to grow raspberries?

Sincerely,

Al Varado http://www.MisterDogTag.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:44 am 

Dorman red is the one raspberry cultivar that is generally recommended for this area. So his advice on that cultivar matches that of the local "experts".

I don't know if his belief that there are many cultivars that will grow here is correct, but there are other things to consider besides climate. For example, soil in Georgia is, I believe, quite different from the soil here. Alkaline, calcium rich, clay soils, like we have here, are not particularly suited to raspberries.

I did meet someone last fall who said that he bought a number of variety of raspberries (a sampler pack) from one of the big mail order nurseries. He planted them in his front yard on the north side of his house where they were somewhat shaded. He said he had tons of raspberries all summer long. Don't know what his soil was like. Maybe he didn't have the black and white soild and instead had a pocket of sandy loam.

I think you should give raspberries a try. If you ammend your planting bed with lots of compost, you will buffer the ph of the native soil and this might make the soil more suitable for raspberries. You might want to experiment with various cultivars and see what happens. Call it an "experiment".

Marlyn

Marlyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:48 am 

I planted some Dorman red this February and had a pint of raspberries by April. I was very surprised they were actually doing better than the blackberries I planted at the same time. The black berries have caught up though. I got my starts from Womack Nursery Co in DeLeon.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_HS104

I'd check with some of the other berry growers in the area. I found several using google and searching for :
"north texas" u-Pick

Post subject: Raspberries
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:34 pm 

At my old house I grew one particular variety, Autumn Bliss, that I purchased from a dear old lady in Brownsboro, TX. Her company name is Berry Country Farms, but unfortunately, she is not selling plants at this time. She did, however, give me some excellent advice when I called last year to order plants for my new home. She recommended a different variety from what she had told me the first time I planted a berry patch b/c although Autumn Bliss and Tulameen had done well for her, the Bababerry had outshined them both. She recommended something called "Bababerry" and recommended that I purchase them from Henry Fields.

I wish I had done so. They were more expensive but I have had some problems with the plants I purchased from TyTy, which I now hear is a bad nursery. One plant is doing quite well, but took 2 months to leaf out. I purchased some black raspberries called Black Hawk which are supposed to be heat tolerant, and two have come up from the ground, but I may have lost one. These plants are nowhere near the hardiness of the ones that I purchased from Berry Country Farms and I now realize it may be due to ordering from a bad nursery. The other bababerry is green-stemmed but no red buds.

I still recommend the bababerry b/c of the success at which I was able to grow berries recommended by BCF and b/c of other good things I've heard about this plant being promising for our area. As for the black raspberry, one friend of mine said he had better luck with black raspberries than red and he was growing them in Lakewood (Old East Dallas).

BCF recommends using a rose program for raspberries. I have done this with the exception of adding soft rock phosphate. Sul-po-mag is a better idea. I also used a ton of compost and a little peat moss to add acidity to the soil. You can remove the top 6-8" of soil and replace with compost and other amendments and can get away with it since their root system is shallow. I also add tea grounds as I have them but I am not sure at this point if this is helping the acidity or not.

I will let you all know what happens. Anyone else that has suggestions please post. Sorry for such a long post.