It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Oleanders
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:45 pm 

Does anyone know what kind of fertilizer to use for new oleander bushes to stimulate rapid growth :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:07 pm 

Hi Dee,
Newly planted shrubs do better if you don't try and stimulate new growth but stimulate root growth, especially in the fall. Best to wait until spring when they are settled in to stimulate new growth. Once the roots are strong, they will be better able to support that new growth. I would recommend compost tea and phosphate. You might find this an interesting read.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=334

Newt

Post subject: Oleanders
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:48 am 

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the county doesn't see it that way. I have to replace a fence line of oleanders to cover my auto salvage yard and they want it to grow within six months. I told them it was the worng time of the year for that kind of growth but that is what they are sticking to. If I don't get them growing faster they will take me to court.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:30 pm 

Dee,

Oh my, sounds like you've got a problem. Have you purchased the shrubs yet? If not, buy the tallest ones you can afford. If so, what comes to mind would be something like Miracle Grow. Shhh, don't tell anyone I said that! :oops:

Newt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:59 pm 

Miracle Gro? Shame on you, Newt! How about this: Get some Medina Hasta Gro (I KNOW it's plentiful there) and use it double strength. It will make them grow quickly but it won't hurt them as much. It has lots of good growing goodies but no artificial chemical input like the stuff Newt mentioned. And if you mix in some seaweed you'll get good root growth too...double bonus and no artificial chemicals!

And tell the county they are being UNREASONABLE. If you get tall oleanders it will help but hey, this is just NOT the time of year for a lot of growth. Oleanders love HOT weather for gosh sakes.

Good luck!
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:52 pm 

Kathe,
Never heard of Medina Hasta Gro, but I shall add that to my list of organics! I know that the awful stuff I mentioned is like steriods for your plants. That is actually the first time I have ever recommended it. Good to know there is a better alternative.

Thanks,
Newt