It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Greenhouse Ideas/Links
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:31 am 

Greenhouses seem to be of interest about this time of year and I thought perhaps a request to members to post ideas and links to help others find what they need might have some value.

I have found two I thought to be of interest:

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/pvc2.shtml
http://www.snapclamp.com/greenhouse.htm

Post subject: Greenhouse construction
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:13 pm 

I just finished building a homemade temporary greenhouse. It starts with my raised beds as somewhat of a foundation. I won't repeat myself but you can do a search on this site for instructions about my raised beds, or refer to an article I wrote for the "Dirt" magazine.

I purchased 10 cattle panels which are made from welded wire about the size of a thin pencil, 16' long x 52" wide. They come in various sizes and gauge of wire. All farm and ranch stores as well as the home depot in McKinney carry them.

I anchored the narrow end of each panel to the side of the raised bed which left the 16' panel standing straight up in the air. I moved over 3 raised beds and did the same with another panel. Both panels were bent toward the middle to form an arc and lashed together with wire. I used the wire rather sparingly for strength and connected most of the joints with zip-ties to allow easy breakdown in the spring. I did this the entire length of the 16' beds and did something similar with the ends of the structure. Clear plastic was attached to the outside, held down by some cheap alligator clips and rope which prevents the plastic from ballooning in the wind. The whole set-up, about 17' x 17' x 6' high, cost around $200. It is modular and can easily be broken down. Two people can assemble it in less than a day.

PM me if you need further info or pictures.

Tony M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:48 pm 

Tony,
What issue of the DirtDoctor did your article appear?
Are there photos of your handy work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:11 pm 

I thought someone would ask that question, I wish I knew the answer. I've written many articles for the magazine and I give all my old copies away trying to encourage people to subscribe.
Lets see, I wrote the article on June 3rd. So it should be in the July or August issue. Yes, there are two pictures.
Tony M