It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Oleander
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:46 pm 

I have a two year old oleander plant in my back yard. And an eight month old baby. The oleander is doing good but next year it will really pop. Next year my 8 month old will be on the move as well. I am wondering if I should move the oleander since it is so toxic. I have a great place I can put it in the median in front of my house. What do you think? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:08 pm 

If you think your child might eat it, by all means, move it. All children are different. I never had the urge to put flowers in my mouth, but mom tells me I used to eat bugs. :lol:
Maybe you can place some sort of barrier between the plant and the rest of the yard. Again, when I was a toddler, mom had a perfect view out the kitchen window of the backyard. Just in case I tried to crawl over the fence or something, she would put a harness on me attached to a leash, which was connected to a clothesline. Being able to crawl the length of it, I was happy as could be. :D Once, she actually had the police called on her because of it, but all they did was commend her for a creative means of protection and display of responsible care. In case you are wondering about any psychological implications, I am a well adjusted and very happy person. And my mom is my best friend.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:51 pm 

How do U propagate oleanders? I have trimmed mine, at the vacation home on Galveston, and stuck them in water and compost that I have kept moist. They just die. Sure would like to have some growing up here in the DFW area. I believe I heard Howard say that the red ones are the best ones to grow here in the metroplex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:08 pm 

I do not know how to propagate anything except wandering jew. You can just throw that on the ground and it will start growing! :lol:
A book recommended by a very knowledgeable person: Plant Propagation Principles and Practices. Hartmann, Kester, Davies. It is on my list of books to purchase now. 8) In case you do not get an answer here of in the ornamentals section, you might consider checking it out. Good luck!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:00 pm 

Thanks Nadine. I guess that book is on my list to buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:49 pm 

"The Secrets of Plant Propagation" by Lewis Hill is another great book on the subect.

The Laws of Ecology: