It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:11 am 

We will be placing our home on the market in 9-12 months and I see my yard as a negative when it comes to "curb appeal". The total yard is about 1/3 acre. The front yard consists of a oval (20 x 40) within the circular drive and a side yard of similar sq footage. These areas are buffalo. The St Augustine in the back yard rates about a 6 on a scale of 10 as far as appearance. I'm considering replacing the entire yard this spring. I have a few good size Oaks that shade parts of the yard through out the day, but I would not consider the yard shady.

Should I decide to replace the yard with something other than Buff, what is the best choice? I realize that some may advocate selling potential buyers on the benefits of buff, but frankly I'd rather make that effort with my new neighbors, not potential buyers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:32 am 

As a potential home buyer myself, I certainly would not consider a less than perfect lawn to be a deal killer, nor would I pay top dollar for a home because it has a good lawn, or a specific grass that I like. Your existing lawn sounds good. Buffalo is great low maintenance grass and St Augustine is fine for shadier areas. Rather than spend money into something which likely won't ever pay you back, I would look for inexpensive ways to improve what you got. Namely:
1. Mow at the highest setting all of the time.
2. Don't bag your grass clippings
2. Make sure the St Augustine gets plenty of water when dry (esp in summer)
Unfortunately, few potential buyers are going to appreciate the benefits of specific types of grass unless they're already educated, so don't waste your money.