It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: tifdwarf putting greens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:03 am 

considering lava sand, green sand, and possibly dry molassas as amendments at areification this april. what rates would be recommended and what should i be aware of? any other comments?
we mow at 1/8 of an inch year around, so the surface must be smooth and the products will need to be watered or brushed in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:17 am 

You should be aware that you might not see any change in the turf whatsoever. I know Howard loves lava sand but as far as I'm concerned, and I've tested it hard, it's basically worthless.

I don't like molasses for the same reason. No effect on my turf. Others swear by it but I get zero, time after time after time after time. Every couple of years someone convinces me that I didn't do it right or didn't give it a fair chance. Still nothing.

Greensand is a miracle cure for one thing and one thing only. Following a long hard rain, your turf will turn yellow (assuming you live in Texas). We all know that. If you apply greensand in the middle of the rainstorm, your grass will be the only grass that does not turn yellow. If you wait until the grass turns yellow to apply greensand, it takes 3 weeks to kick in.

If I were you I would fertilize with whole ground corn meal and brush it in. That's all. For your application I would use it every 60 days to control fungal diseases. The rate is 10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet.