It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mockingbirds
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:40 pm 

I have seen mockingbirds fiercely dive bomb after squirrels. They probably consider them as pests as we do,or they think they are cats from their furry bodies. But they probably don't know and don't care and think to themselves,"Those ball of furs better not come near MY tree!!!!"

Tree Dude

Post subject: Re: Mockingbirds
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:52 pm 

Tree Dude wrote:
I have seen mockingbirds fiercely dive bomb after squirrels...

They're such a cool bird. For a bird that's not terribly large, they don't put up with cr@p from anything. A number of times I've seen then launch an organized, systematic bombardment on anything messing with their territory, cats, squirrels, crows, whatever.

On hot days they also love to take a serious bath in the birdbath. I mean, not just getting the feet wet. I've seen them dive in, flutter about, get out on the edge, and drive right back in, repeating this sequence maybe a half dozen or so times. Like kids at a swimming pool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:21 pm 

I wonder if they ever have attack a human before. Has anyone ever been chase after them? They don't seem to be bother by me. However, when I was a small child at my grandparents, there was a birdhouse at the back corner of the yard, I saw some angry black birds diving after me!! I RAN AS FAST AS A GAZELLE!! :shock: Amazing, I ran away from a bird :roll: . Well, I have seen people do a freak dance when they see a little spider when the spider is not doing anything but sitting! :wink: And some go crazy when the see a wasp. I guess the smaller you are, the more dangerous you are.

Tree Dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:14 pm 

Does anyone know if the MB's have a mating dance? On several occasions in the past few years we have seen MB's facing each other and hopping sideways 5-8 times oneway and then the other way. The first time my wife and son saw this they were actually in the middle of the street! The dance lasted long enough for them to first be amazed and then for my son to locate our camcorder and record them for about 2 minutes!

We moved to the country 2 years ago and have seen this occur twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:50 pm 

I have seen them fall out of trees together. One will be on top, vice versa. They kind of flutter to the ground and flop around like a fish out of water. Mating dance??? Could be. Very interesting to watch, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:52 pm 

OH, and I have seen them divebomb squirrels and chase them around the yard. I have also seen them 20 on 1 a hawk and send it running for its life!!!! Very aggressive!!!!!

Post subject: Mockingbirds
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:55 pm 

The Mockingbird sometimes gives a "wing flash" display. It half or fully opens its wings in a jerky motion, showing off the large white wing patches. No one really knows why they do this, maybe some kind of territorial display or it has even been suggested that it is used to scare insects into moving and revealing themselves, kind of an avian "boo."

The Northern Mockingbird lives up to his name - continuing to learn new songs throughout its life. A really proficient singer might know as many as 200 different songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:04 pm 

I believe it! I worked in Rowlett for several years, and we had one that would chirp all day long on a telephone wire. It actually new the typical "car alarm" sound!!! Kind of scary I suppose. I never hear the ones around the house making that kind of commotion, though. They do perch in the ugly bois d arc "bush" growing behind the fence, along with several sparrows. I trimmed it back and want to cut it down, but it seems to be a safe haven for them.