It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:46 pm 

I'm in Grand Prairie TX and the soil here stays quite wet most of the time. Rainwater pools on the grass after anything more than a 1/2 inch rain. I recently started an organic program and the first thing I did was to apply agrispon for the purpose of aerating the soil - then added lava & green sand, molasses, corn gluten meal, nematoids...

My question is, would frequent aerating and adding of sands help to break down the heavy clay and "absorb" the water better?

Comparing last year (pre-organic program) to this year (after beginning organics) I think maybe the water absorbs a little faster than before, but that may be wishful thinking on my part. But would a frequent dose help or just how often should I consider the Agrispon/sand treatment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:26 pm 

Adding sand won't loosen your soil. For whatever reasons you're lacking in fungi in your soil. Three things are necessary to reestablish your population of fungi. First is the absence of fungicides. Fungicides include the chemical fungicides, any sulfur product (including sulfates like ammonium sulfate, and I'm going to suggest potassium sulfate), and baking soda. Second you need moisture. The moisture you have is not penetrating deep enough to grow the fungi you need deeper in the soil. A good way to get that moisture to penetrate is by using a soaker hose. When I was doing this I connected two soaker hoses together and draped them in a line at the high point across my lawn. Then I turned the hose on to a trickle at the spigot. I left it on for about 2 weeks until the soil softened considerably. Then I moved the hose about 18 inches down the slope for another 2 weeks. I repeated the moves every 2 weeks until I got to the bottom of my property. Then I went back to the top and started over again. In the mean time I had to water my yard, so remember to allow for that. After the second cycle my soil was completely different. Now when it dries out it becomes very hard but the grass stays green and upright. The water deep down keeps the deeper roots going while the very surface gets hard. The third thing you need is organic material as deep in the soil as you can GROW it. I'm talking about deep roots. Grass plants replace their roots every year so last year's roots are this year's deep organic material. If you can grow your roots deeper this year, then your organic material goes deeper next year. It is the deep roots and this deep organic material rotting underground that loosens your soil. Once you get all this going for you your soil will absorb as much water as you can give it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:28 am 

By "sand" I'm assuming you mean lava sand. I believe that would help. Adding compost (or compost tea) will also help. I don't know how much aeration Agrispon will provide. If you have never had a physical aeration done, from my experience this will provide your lawn a quick boost along with your program.

With all of the rain we have had in this area, I don't see a benefit in the addition of more mechanical waterings until the lawn needs it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:31 am 

I spoke with someone at Redenta's yesterday, and her advice was to aerate and spread out a layer of compost mixed with lava sand over the aerated soil. This, along with frequent watering (when the rain stops) seems to me an appropriate approach that would begin working a lot quicker than relying on a soaker hose...then, again, if plan B doesn't work, I guess I can always try plan A:)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:52 am 

dymnjim wrote:
I spoke with someone at Redenta's yesterday, and her advice was to aerate and spread out a layer of compost mixed with lava sand over the aerated soil.

Yes :)

dymnjim wrote:
... This, along with frequent watering (when the rain stops) ...

I trust you mean infrequent but deep watering. One of the purported benefits of organic lawn care is that the plants build deep and dense root systems which require less mechanical watering.