It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:40 pm 

You mentioned in an earlier thread that you raise minature polled Herefords. Can you give me a little more info on these cattle... size etc. ?
Sounds pretty intresting.

Post subject: mini polled cattle
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:01 pm 

I will try to give you the short course.
Before 30 to 35 years ago - before mutantant cattle - we had what was know as classic Hereford and Angus. Cattle ate their natural food - grass. They were loaded with omega III fatty acids, CLS's - the really good ones that are heart healthy. Very few people were over weight. Then we got the mutants and grain fed beef. The omegas and CLAs were gone and then we were told that beef with fats and cholesterol are unhealthy. The beef got outcrossed because the land grant colleges told the farmer that they coul;d make more money with bigger calves. As the cows got bigger the meat got tougher, dispositions got worse and handling equipment got bigger and stronger to handle the mutants. I need to mention that the feed lot operators make money selling government supported grain, the farmers have lost their a____ , IBP is under pressure to give Wal Mart free meat until it goes out on the registers and they put pressure at sale barn to lower money to farmer. Of couse the consumer has stopped buying as much beef because it it is tough and doesn't taste good. I forgot to mention that because of grain and standing around in feed lots p______ on each other for about 6 months there is an acid condition set up in the cows stomach that causes super e-coli that infects people, but then we are going to be saved by radiation that the government says is safe.
Nor the reason for mini cattle. They are only mini in height. Our senior bull is 47 inches tall and weighs about 1200 lbs. Our younger bull is 2 years and 39 inches and will mature at about 42 inches, These guys are docile, don't need heavy duty equipment, do great on grass (I forgot to mention that mutants were bred to only do well on grain), are tender and grade out very well. You can also get more cows per acre and part of market is to people on small 5 to 10 acres. There are not a lot of horned mini Hereford cows but the number is growing, and there are only a handful of the polled cows. There are only 3 or 4 farms raising polled cows. The horned mini cows started in West Tx and the first ones were sold in 1989. I think it will be a long time before large numbers can be processed but the demand seems very strong. Restaurants want tender grass fed beef but it is impossible to supply at this time.
Also remember that purebred cows of any breed and small in height tastes better than outcrossed tall cows.
Also go to www.eatwild.com by Jo Robinson, and www.westonaprice.com for more healthful information on the benefits of grass fed beef with fats and cholesterol .
Bob Bard
If you have more questions on mini's please e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 7:40 am 

Thanks for the info!
I read some of the info at eatwild.com but the other link did not work.
I really appreciate your time.

Post subject: web address
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:29 pm 

www.westonaprice.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:13 pm 

I am glad to see someone else that still believes fats from beef are good for you. Without it you cant live. I have heard people say they dont eat beef they eat chicken because the beef is bad for you. I dont know of any other commercially grown animal that has more growth hormones and antibiotics than a chicken. People give their babies skim and 1/2 % milk because they are afraid they will be fat when they grow up. They need fat because that is what the brain is made from. No fat, the brain does not develop as it should. High cholesteral is another joke. Cholesteral is a kind of bandaid in the arteries and veins, when there is a break it attaches itself to keep you from bleeding to death. If there is an over abundance of this there is a problem its trying to fix. Ok... I will get down off my preaching stump. Todays doctors and drug companys that write you a prescription for an ingrown toenail and 6 months later have to give you another one to cover the side affects from the first one just make my blood boil.
I am interested in your mini herfords, we have about 10 acres and would like to raise a few for our beef supply. If I raise it I know whats in it. I will get my husband to read your post, he's the cow man of the family.
Ok I'm going to close my mouth now or I should say keep my fingers still.

Post subject: mini Herefords
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 2:54 am 

You are correct in your discussion of beef. The key is having grain fed vs grass fed. Grass fed is loaded with CLA's and omegaIII fatty acids which are heart healthy. Grain fed cause acid condition that causes super e-coli that our immune system can't over come.
The same is true with milk and dairy products. Grass fed is healthy, grain fed is not.
Chemicals - herbicides, pesticides, antibiotics, plastics, styrene, glues, and many others are in water, food, and air are causing heart disease, cancer - in adults and children. There is great website www.prestigepublishing.com for Dr. Sherry Rogers MD with info on her books that include "Pain Free in Six Weeks", Detoxify or Die, and many others. Her thoughts are we are exposed to chemicals and can't stop them. but we can eat better and detoxify our bodies.
The little Herefords are about 39 inch to 46 inches tall. They do very well on grass and they are naturally tender and tasty unlike the mutant and outcrosses of the last 30 years. The larger the cows have become dependant on grain (bred for this) and with more outcrosses they have become tougher - hence more hamberger. Hamberger can have flavoring to make them taste better. The farmer was lied to by the "system" and seize became more important than taste and quality to the consumer. The consumer answered by switching to chicken. Unfortunately they didn't ask how chicken was raised. Chicken is fed 50% drugs and chemicals and walk around on old manure and have to be processed at 6 weeks and if they are not they die of heart attacks at 8 weeks. Is there someting wrong with this picture?????????? Of course beef is feed the same chemicals and walk around putting manure on each other for 6 months or so.
The mini's do well on small pastures and you do know what you are eating. and the quality is wonderfull besides being healthy for you.
I do have a few cows for sale in various packages - cows with baby at side and bred back, mini heifer bred for baby next year, etc.
Please feel free to e-mail me and we can discuss what is available.
Robert Bard
icok@direcway.com