It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:11 pm 

Hi, I am new to organic gardening and just put in a new raised bed with compost and all the amenities howard recommends. However, I have several tomato plants so full of aphids that they are all fighting for a place to feed.. For the last several weeks, I have released lady bugs with no seeming benefit. It is at night. Can I get ahead of them with Neem or other organic pest control products? help. in trouble thanks.

Last edited by Slough on Tue May 31, 2005 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:44 pm 

You can knock the majority of them off with a strong stream of water avoiding the use of any kind of pesticide.
Step back and ask why this is happening. I have dozens of tomato plants and haven't noticed any aphids. Are they too wet/dry? Tomatoes are heavy feeders - do they have enough fertilizer? Are you on any kind of foliar feeding schedule which has a side benefit of protecting plants from pests and disease?
You said you were new so I'm not being critical, just making suggestions.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:09 pm 

Thanks Tony, for the help. When I planted them earlier in april they turned yellow due to the lack of nitrogen and I used several feedings with an organic 5-3-2 fertilizer. Then the tomatoes took off. Now they are blooming but not setting fruit very well. Then the aphids came on one half of the garden that gets the most sun. Do I need Ca? I used alot of compost, 8 inches to the soil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:01 pm 

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything terribly wrong but when I hear a lot of new growth, aphids and not setting fruit it make me think of too much nitrogen. When plants grow fast they have a lot of new tender growth which attracts insects like aphids. It is difficult for them to set fruit when all the energy is directed at new growth.
Check out this info at Texas Gardener. You might want to consider getting the magazine or go to the library.
http://www.texasgardener.com/pastissues ... ganic.html
Tony M