It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:55 pm 

Hey, all. I'm a long-time listerner (15 yrs so far!), but this is the first time I've attempted strawberries. My Dad rcvd them gratis w/ an order from Stokes & gave them to me. They're called Maxim, there are 10 plants, & I have NO idea the best way to start them. They're in the fridge for now (for only 3 days so far), but I'm sure they would be much happier in the ground. Is this a good time to set them out, how much sun, best mulch, etc. Need HELP FAST!! Thanks for any info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:09 am 

I'd like some advice too. I planted mine recently on the advice of others on this board. I'm doing nothing perfectly this year, which is part of my plan.

I do worry about where to get straw when the berries come. That and the birds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:44 am 

I hardly put any thought into my strawberries and they now grow like weeds in the spring. I just put them in a raised bed with a thin layer of mulch and I get tons of strawberries. I've had small problems with the birds eating them, but the plants produce so much that there's plenty for everyone and everything. A lot of the berries also grow under the leaves, so the birds don't go for those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:31 pm 

The first year after planting don't expect much but after that you will get all you need. Mine get mid day sun and all I do is throw fresh chicken manure on them in the winter. Plant in a row to make it EZer to pick your berries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:51 pm 

How do I get rid of the damn slugs? Are you going to tell me to do the bury the dish of beer thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:29 pm 

I use Sluggo with great success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:12 am 

Sprinkle some diamotaceous earth around them. It will cut them and they will not be able to make it to the strawberries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:06 pm 

jrbianch wrote:
I hardly put any thought into my strawberries and they now grow like weeds in the spring. I just put them in a raised bed with a thin layer of mulch and I get tons of strawberries. I've had small problems with the birds eating them, but the plants produce so much that there's plenty for everyone and everything. A lot of the berries also grow under the leaves, so the birds don't go for those.

So when would you plant and do you have to replant every year?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:55 am 

I bought some strawberries but with all the rainfall we get here in Kingwood Texas (a suburb of Houston), with rocks in the bottom of the pot they still rotted. Now I've bought a small half crate barrel and some stones and sand. Don't know how to create good drainage. Won't the sand all leak out the bottom?
Also what do they need as food?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:52 am 

I will second planting them elevated but do not let them dry out. To much water hurts the plants and spoils the strawberries if they are sitting on the ground. I also elevate each strawberry as they grow to prevent wet foot and even helps a little with the slugs.

Also, I will second the diamotaceous earth. It does very well. I also use cypress mulch as it is not as easy to crawl on as pine mulch and some of the other ones.

I planted some of mine last fall and some early this year, but then again I live South of Houston so some of the others would probably have a better idea for your area, around February and mine are going crazy and are huge with lots of berries.

As far as birds, mine are under lime trees and grapefruit trees and it seems to help hide them so you might try some protection of some kind.

Hope it all helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:02 pm 

thanks, love to learn, I love to learn too! I'm going to contact King's Orchard inPlantersville to visit them since they have strawberry growing down to a fine art! :D