It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Looking for a Tx Madrone
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:56 pm 

I have looked at a few of the organic nurseries for a Texas Madrone, without success. One said they don't order them as the Madrone needs such a dry environment and easily are over watered and die. Another nursery said they used to cut the bottoms out of the plastic containers when they bought them, to keep them extra dry, but have since quit buying them. I have a nice, arid place to plant one; anyone have an idea where they can be obtained locally?

Post subject: madrone
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:35 pm 

i've never seen a tx madrone. i've seen madrone in the arid mountains of calif. wonder if they look similar. the ones i've seen have magnifcent peeling bark, and twisted, tortured trunks that are so gorgeous.
i bet if you get one to grow, you will have a very special, unique treasure. sorryi have no useful info. good luck
bj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:15 pm 

Don, have tried to transplant some native madrones in the Texas Hill Country, but no success so far. I have come across one nursery who supposedly specializes in Madrones.
http://www.nativesoftexas.com/default.htm
If you are ever out in the Kerrville area, you might drop by and give it a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:26 pm 

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:23 pm 

I was hiking and camping in Lost Maples near Vanderpool last week and was surprised to notice 2 mature madrones just a few feet off the trail amongst all the junipers, lacey oaks and red oaks... They were in the far west part of the park, the 'west loop'. A very pleasant surprise, since they were the first ones I'd seen other than in pictures. And at another place (don't remember where, but it was on the west side of the park), right on the side of the trail they have a small bushy sapling a few feet tall growing! I'm pretty sure it is one...

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it for people like me who aren't fortunate enough to have a ranch out in the hill country with these on it. Might be the only way to see one :)

Unfortunately I didn't find out about that nursery until now, so guess I'll have to go back soon!