It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rosemary ????
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:23 pm 

I have some rosemary that has been in the ground for about 3 or 4 years now. It seems to be doing great. In this time it has never flowered. I hope someone can tell me why. Thanks

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:09 pm 

I have a rosemay that has been in the ground for over ten years that has never flowered, and I have another one that is about four years old that started flowering the second year. I really don't know why the difference unless it is different genetics. Does your rosemary get plenty of sun?

Post subject: Rosemary Tails...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:23 pm 

I have a trailing rosemary in the front yard that flowers spring & fall, and a bush rosemary in the back that flowers whenever it seems to want to. Both are clipped regularly for household use, are the same age and grow under similar light, soil & water conditions. I had one for years that never flowered at all but grew like crazy.

Go figure...whatever it does, I love that stuff! :D
:wink: :shock:
Kathe

Post subject: Too fertile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:30 pm 

As Kathe stated, some do whatever they want to it seems. But often, flowering is a sign of stress (and yes, normal seasonal blooms occur in plants, too) - ya'll are probably being way to nice to your rosemary plants so they don't flower too much. Very well drained and even rocky soil, full sun and no fertilizer will often produce more of a native growing condition. When a plant flowers, it usually produces seeds - ergo it's trying to reproduce itself. Often, when one is in stress and it thinks it may not make it, it will flower profusely - then drop seeds. I've not ever had a rosemary plant come up from seed, but in general, that is how plants "work". (Rosemary cuttings seem to work best.) And, some varieties will bloom more than others, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:05 am 

Not every rosemary blooms. Cutting it back will not help.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:22 pm 

Used to trim back the rosemary to avoid too much of a mess. It would bloom, but not so much.

Lately, however, got lazy and just let it grow. Now it seems to bloom just about all of the time. Even with really limited watering lately due to our drought (last into Spring?!), the silly thing is still blooming. Of course the bees (yellow jackets?) love it. I don't bother them, they don't bother me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:29 pm 

Totally off the subject - but if you do cut it back, the younger stems stripped of the leaves make great skewers for anything you want to grill!

I grow rosemary so I can eat it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:38 am 

goooh,

Rosemary prefers drought situations anyway. You do not need to give it any additional water once it's established. I've had my plants for years and haven't provided any water to them in over 3 years. They are healthy and bloom like crazy.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:33 pm 

Do you trim your rosemary or take cuttings for cooking? From my experience, the flowers occur on older second year branches which have not been trimmed, and rosemary is beautiful in bloom. I like to have at least two plants growing since I use rosemary sprigs when baking chickens, so that one can bloom each year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:45 pm 

I brought several of my rosemary plants to Saginaw from Houston and had no clue what to do with any of them - so, decided to plant one in each of the four directions - north, south, east & west.....They ALL took off and now look more like trees than anything. The first year in Saginaw only produced a couple of blooms on the plant I placed on the west side of our home. This year (3rd year), all the plants are blooming profusely. I've only covered the plants when the temperature is EXTREME for more than one day and night and we've done nothing special but for the usual organic treatment that our grass gets (cornmeal/molasses). Based on my observations, it would appear that the plants must first become acclimated to your particular environment and, once established, they appear to produce more blooms when subjected to colder temperatures. Ours are gorgeous. Steve & Carla