It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Energy Performance
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:22 pm 

Many of my readers have seen my new home, visited it or have read about it.

I thought everyone might be interested in how the home performed over the past summer. Well the results are nothing short of incredible!

The home is 3,600 sq.ft. - the largest electric bill for cooling was in August - a whopping $ 65.00. Most of the summer we used the whole house ventilating fan that I wrote about in a previous topic as well as stack effect natural ventilation. The holistic impact of the fan, ventilation, proper orientation, ICF insullated thermal mass construction, reversable duct air distribution, crawl space thermal mass, shading and those wonderful 200 year old pecan trees has been incredible!

Over the course of the last twelve months we noticed that the house never varied more than 4 degress when the assisted mechanical systems were off and we were conditioning the home passively. Thus far this late fall when its been cool/cold the home has been about 67/68 deg. at 6:00 AM and by 9:00 AM when the sun rises in the south and comes blazing through the south facing glass the temperature quickly runs up to a comfortable 74 degrees. The thermal mass seems to be functioning as designed and holds the embodied energy well into the early morning hours.

Its comforting to know that not only am I saving energy, and, reducing my utility bills - the home's energy performance is also making a significant contribution to regional air quality. The amount of energy not used equates to pollutants not generated at the power plant by burning fossil fuels!

This isn't rocket science folks - just good old Texas common sense and sound design and planning. Watch the forum as we plan to have a tour of the home late spring 2006.

I was also humbled and gratified by the announcement that my home was selected to recieve the National Association of Home Builders, NAHB, Energy Value Housing Award, EVHA for 2005. I will be traveling to Orlando in January to recieve this prestigious national award. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:16 am 

Gary-
Congratulations and thank-you for sharing this information with us. My wife and I are looking forward to the spring tour.
We went on a green home tour several years ago that featured 6-8 homes. Is this a similar tour or are you just going to be featuring your home?
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:45 am 

We may attempt to put 3 or 4 houses on the tour in late spring. I will keep the forum posted.