It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bird Brains!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:42 pm 

What are some of the dumbest, idiotic birds on earth?

My vote:

Turkey- they drown themselves in the rain

A friend told me emus and ostriches because they slam against a wall at full speed

What do you know?

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:41 pm 

You might want to check up on your assertions about turkeys. This is a game bird extrodinare in many states. They are as wise and elusive as any game animal. Here in Texas we have so many they are an easy mark.
If they drown in the rain how come we have more turkeys now that we did when this country was founded? Did you know Ben Franklin lobbied to get the bird to be our national symbol?
I'm wondering how this thread adds to organic gardening and here I am contributing to it.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:19 pm 

Yeah, Tony, but I am sure this is all in fun. The pigeon gets my vote. They are VERY slow to get out of the way of a moving vehicle, even at slow speeds. I guess this is from being fed by humans. Maybe they get comfortable around us? I still feed them, though. Actually, my cats would be my second vote. We have well over 20 white wing doves that show up in the morning and early afternoon ground feeding on the seed we put out for them. Our cats can get about 5 feet from them, creeping up slowly. By the time they get that close, all but one take off with that "beebeebee" chirp. The last one takes a few seconds and then joins in. So, not complety stupid!!!

As far as the Turkey story, I have heard the same, not sure if it is true. Feed and enjoy the birds!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:55 pm 

Speaking of fun, when the morning crew on WBAP does their "Natural Howard" bit they always have him sign off by saying, "don't forget to FEEL the birds"
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:08 pm 

So, turkeys looking at every rain drop til they are dead is a myth? I heard folks that is one of the reason for shelter for them. Somebody who has turkeys please tell us(or me) straight!

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:16 am 

I raise turkeys, just butchered 4 birds. All were outside. This spring when we had rain, none of them flopped over. In fact, during the summer I used to spray them with the hose and they would stand there and preen.
Most animals don't like to be out in bad conditions. They either have no choice, no cover or they are playing or looking for food. My dogs will run and play in the rain and snow but when they get tired they go lay down in the barn.
Tony M

Post subject: Bird Brains
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:09 pm 

Not sure what category this falls in.

In Australia the sheep ranchers have put up fences in large parts of the country, something like the barbed wire fences that ranchers and farmers use in this country.

Emu's can not fly so getting over the fences would seem to be a problem.

To manage this, the Emu's get up a head of steam and run full speed into the fence. They are tall enough, relative to the height of the fence, that their momentum causes them to somersault over the fence, where they land and go on their merry way. Their feathers are so tough that protect the skin of the bird. A few are always left in the fence, a sure sign of an Emu crossing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:34 am 

I was thinking it would be the dove. Although beautiful, they have the smallest head, it seems, to support that rather plump body. Also, I can step into the garden causing all the birds to scatter except the doves which eventually look around as if to say "gee, where did everybody go?" and I'm standing 2 feet from them.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan