It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:57 pm 

I have this living thing :) in my front and backyard that I don't know what it is therefore have no idea how to care for it :(. I'm providing a link to a webpage image. It's not the best I noticed with all of the other growth around it so a brief description: it grows in several straight shoots with leaves that grow exactly opposite of each other on the shoot no stem initially to the leaf then as the leaf matures it forms away from the shoot and looks like those on a photenia sp? For the most part it drops its leaves in fall then late winter (for here anyway) it forms buds and flowers of a pinkish peach color that will bloom until approx. April until it starts forming the new leaves. Any help is greatly appreciated for I would like to help it since it has been neglected before my aquiring this home. http://members.tripod.com/D-Wild/images/Whatsthis.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:13 pm 

Looks like a flowering quince, check that out and let us know.
Tony M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:57 am 

Thank You So Much Tony M, flowering quince appears to be exactly what these plants/bushes are. Seems from my search on them I have the texas scarlet, pink/peach color. I think :? I'm happy that I didn't cut them down, you see they are definitely in grave need of tlc. Last spring I spent weeks fighting disease aphids/mites on them. The ones in my backyard have several suckers? coming up that I may transplant and hopefully can control that once they get proper care. Could be why I don't see any in the neighborhood....hmm. I do enjoy the color when there isn't any elsewhere this time of year. So now the search/work to help them look better in the next few months. Again Thank You very much for I would have never found out for my neighbors don't remember what the dear little ol' lady that lived here before planted nor does the mailman. :)
regards,
dvande

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:41 am 

dvande,

The color/blooms are very short lived and of course they only bloom in the spring. You should trim off some of the branches in bloom and put them in a vase inside to enjoy them even more. They're great in arrangements.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan