It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 11:08 pm 

Set out Celebrity, Brandywine and Rutgers starts a few weeks ago. I grew Celebrity last year with good results but am not familiar with the other two heirlooms. I chose the Brandywine because of its heirloom status, but the Rutgers was mistakenly chosen (the flat it was in was labeled Sweet 100). Haven't found many positive comments about their performance in Texas, but figured that if Redenta's is selling them (that's where they were purchased), they likely will do fine here if reasonably cared for. I was told that Howard has made some positive comments about Rutgers on the radio show, but I haven't been listening lately so I can't confirm that. Any info about these would be much appreciated. :?: :?:

Post subject: Re Brandywine
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 3:07 pm 

Hey, I'm trying Brandywine for the first time & decided to in a really unusual way. Bought one labelled 'organic' @ Central Mkt, left it on the counter too long & went to cut off the too soft part. Inside were a bunch of seeds, already sprouting!! Planted them up in a big pot & so far have 10 new seedlings. Good thing, since I have marginal luck @ saving seed. I'll keep listening to see if HG mentions Rutgers, then e-mail you the date for research.

Post subject: Rutgers tomatoes
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:11 am 

I have grown Rutgers tomatoes with great success for the past 25 years. They have a wonderful flavor and perform just as well for me as Celebrity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:19 pm 

I grew Brandywine last year, and the fruits were big and beautiful, the plants were lush, but the taste was not as good as I expected. Just a little bland. Maybe someone had mixed up the varieties where I bought the plants, but they sure looked like the Brandywine pix I've seen. I've grown Rutgers for the past couple of years and it's not highly productive, but I do like the taste. I'm trying several heirlooms this year, and for plant hardiness, the Aunt Ruby's German Green and German Johnson seem to be doing best. One of the best tomatoes I have grown, although not an heirloom, is the Carnival.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:09 pm 

My son grew Brandywine in his garden last year. The vine was quite large as were the other varieties planted, especially the Porter's. The number of fruits per vine was the least of any variety however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:51 pm 

When people talk about Brandywine, they aren't always talking about the same thing. There is pink Brandywine - which is the one that folks talk about being so good, but depending on where you buy it, you will get a totally different plant with very different quality tomatoes. There is red Brandywine - apparently not related to the pink. There is also a Yellow Brandywine.

When people talk about Brandywine being so good, they generally are referring to a potato leaf Pink Brandywine. The best one of the pink brandywines (according to the "experts") is Sudduth's Strain - so called, I believe, because the seeds were saved and propogated by someone named Sudduth. Many people say the Brandywine is the "best" tomato. But most acknowledge that it will not produce a lot of fruit. It is not considered to be at it's best in the south.

Rutgers is often referred to as a canning tomato but is supposedly good fresh as well. Many people swear by it for canning. I have not heard much discussion about it being grown in the south.

Don't be afraid of heirlooms. They are wonderful varieties. I many varieties of heirloom tomatoes and have been really pleased with the results. Many of them do fine in the south, but, of course, not all will produce through the hottest part of the summer. I do have some problems with blight, but I get this with the hybrids as well. Spraying with seaweed based foliar feed is helpful and I think that adding some potassium bicarbonate (or baking soda) helps. I also agree with using cornmeal to improve the plant's immune system.

Check out the Growing Tomatoes Forum on Garden Web. There are lots of folks who know a tremendous amount about heirloom tomotoes.

Marlyn