It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:18 pm 

Pam, I just meant that at least they bring up the IDEA of altered chicken.

More people need to be made aware of what they'r eating.
I don't know if it's Sanderson Farms, Pilgrim (yuck) or any others.

I'm at Whole Foods, and they don't sell that junk.

My chickens, if I finally get them, will be organically raised (for eggs only!)
Thanks for the feedback!

OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Post subject: raising chickens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:50 pm 

Tony was right about the economy of scale.
Think about the following:
55 % of chicken feed is a chemical - hormones, antibiotics and the one I like best is Arsenic. They start feeding arsenic at 3 days of age and stop at 5 days before slaughter - but I heard recently that it is organic Arsenic and if anyone out there can tell me the make up of organic arsenic, I would love to know (I was a chemistry major in college)
The beaks have to cut off so the chickens will not kill each other - caused by stress.
The manure of thousands of chickens build up over the months - they clean the houses out after every 4th or 5th batch.
They sometimes build a sun room on the side of the chicken houses so the birds can go "outside" for fresh air - this is considered to be free range

An organic farmer has a small portable structure surrounded by a portable fence that they move on a regular basis. The have to water and feed everday - no automatic waters or feeders. they have to protect their birds from the sky - attacks from birds of prey. When it comes time to slaughter the birds, it is very hard work and a nasty job - this is where they find out who their real friends and family are. Don't forget their freezer and electric bills and their delivery charges if you don't go to the farm to pick them up.
I can't speak for you but I have killed my last chicken - it is nasty.

Beef is another thing and a whole lot less work. take them to the slaughter place and go back in two to three weeks and take them to your freezer. Chemicals are bad - we raise our own grass fed non-chemical beef from miniature cows - genes are a lot better. Pound for pound beef has less chemicals than chicken when bought in a store.

I would suggest that if you buy store bought chicken that you through the skin away as the chemicals are concentrated in the shin and fat in the skin.
Robert D Bard
Dr Bob the Health Builder