It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Burned Skin Treatment
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:16 pm 

Today after walking my dog,he saw another dog before i saw the dog. Before I knew it,he zoomed so fast and strongly that yanked my gripped from the handle thingy. i quickly grabbed the string,but he was so fast that the string burned my fingers hot enough I could not hanged on no longer. OW!! :shock:
After I chased and caught him across the street,I had white stripes from the burn. So I iced it. Then i wondered, what would be the organic way of treating burns?
Does anybody know? How about tomato juice? Cornmeal seems the cure of many things :wink: .

Tree Dude

Post subject: string burns
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:02 am 

You were right to ice it, even tho they say cold water instead of ice-I think that's b/c someone may ice it too long. Then aloe vera is the best thing for burns. Just break open a 'leaf' & apply the juice.
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:13 am 

Something else that works well on mild burns (better than aloe) is unrefined Shea butter. Great for skin cracks, itching, bug bites, etc.

Post subject: Aloe for Burns
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:12 pm 

Aloe is a wonderful thing for burns or skin abrasions of any kind. Mannatech, the company that makes Manapol for immune support, makes a terrific product for the treatment of burns received from radiation therapy. The best topical aloe available retail that I've ever found is George's Aloe, made near Waco. If you can find some, get it. It's great. I'm pretty sure Whole Foods carries it now.

With burns, the danger of infection is always a worry. So watch for that and take action immediately if you see any sign of infection setting in. It might not hurt to take a short regimen of oral aloe, as well as some garlic which is a natural antibiotic. Of course, taking a good aloe product orally on a regular basis isn't a bad idea anyway.

Good luck and hope you get better soon. OUCH! :shock:
Kathe :D

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:28 pm 

Thank you for the tips. My fingers are ok now. They are just in the processing of being healed.

Thanks,

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:23 pm 

There are many natural organic ways to treat a burn, but I wouldn't use cornmeal. Cornmeal is drying, which is the opposite of what you want.

I think the two best remedies are Aloe Vera and honey. Aloe Vera is great for burns. Buy a plant and keep it as a houseplant (if you don't already have one). Break off a piece, slit it open, and squeeze the juice on your burn. Raw, unfiltered honey is also great for burns. Very healing but messy. It must be raw and unfiltered, so it still has live enzymes for healing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:13 pm 

I burned my leg pretty bad on the exhaust of a motorcycle :shock: (silly me) when I was about 16. You can not even tell, now. 8) The doctor gave me Silvadene cream to put on it. I hate to think what all might have been in there, but I know silver has healing properties as well. Ice, aloe and honey are great, too! I've never tried unrefined shea butter. I wonder about comfrey...

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: burns
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:41 am 

all true burns cause oxidation damage, and thus can be ameliorated/treated with antioxidants. vit c is by far the cheapest and safest a-o to take in high doses. a bad sunburn can be assuaged with basically nothing but high-dose vit c(10-12 grams daily for 1-2 days usually stops the symptoms and the damage in it's tracks).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:26 am 

I've been searching for an aloe vera thread; I'm sure there must be one in here, but it isn't turning up in a key word search. Anyway, I've been reading tweets (via Twitter) from Dr. Andrew Weil, and he sent a note out today about certified versus uncertified aloe vera products. He recommends the International Aloe Science Council, Inc as the place to look. Here are the companies with aloe products that are certified:

http://www.iasc.org/complete.html

Weil's post today talked about aloe vera for brushing teeth. Hmmm. http://www.drweilblog.com/home/2009/10/27/aloe-vera-gel-for-teeth.html