It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Praying Mantids
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:42 am 

I have not seen any literature by Howard on the praying mantids. Has anyone used them for pest control before? Also do they eat all insects, including the beneficial ones? I cannot find trichogramma wasps in Abilene, and I need to get rid of catepillars and moths in tall trees. Any suggestios?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 2:32 pm 

Regular old paper wasps eat caterpillars. If you have paper wasp nests, nurture them. I have taught my young daughters to leave wasps alone and not to swat at anything that buzzes by. Now when a wasp gets in the house, instead of screaming in terror, they wait calmly until I walk through the room and let me know about it (if they remember).

There are BT products you can get now to spray the caterpillars. Add a little dish soap to the spray and you'll get better effectiveness. There are hose attachments that will allow you to shoot the water pretty high. Otherwise you could use a pressure washer to shoot up high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:46 pm 

It does not matter now as something came and ate the Praying Mantids egg sacs. I did have a red wasp building a nest on the porch and left it alone, but someone or something must have killed it, because he left and never came back. I was having problems with yellow jackets inside our bathroom (upstairs in a 1939 built house) during the winter, so I thought I would have them in the yard but I have not seen them either. I might give the Mantids a try again or order more tricogamma wasps to get rid of the moths and catipillars. Thanks for the help!