It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: neighbor's damaged tree
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:54 pm 

My neighbor has a tree that is rooted on her property but halve of the tree branches into my yard. Either heavy wind or age or disease caused a huge limb to break off. The limb did not fall to the ground but instead is leaning against a larger tree lodged in between branches right over her power line. I made her aware of this and she said that she has someone set to cut he tree down. My story becomes muddy because in the part of her tree that stands over my property there are cavities occupied by woodpeckers. I told her this and that I have read that even a dead tree should not always be cut down because it can destroy habitat. The question is twofold...can a tree with that kind of damage have the threatening branch removed and then be nursed back to health and if not can I prevent her from cutting down the part that's in my yard? I know that if her tree extends over the property line I can cut it but does this work in reverse. Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:54 pm 

Sounds like it would be unfortunate for the tree to come down but she may have the law on her side. Can you send digital photos?
hg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:19 pm 

I'd be happy to send pictures but I'm not quite clear on how to do that. Can I attach a jpeg to an email or something?