It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: dog eats acorns
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:45 pm 

I have many mature oak trees in my yard (the kind I grew up calling post oaks). These are big trees that are now dropping tiny green acorns all over the place, and my 5-month-old pup probably eats a dozen or so a day. I always thought these things were too bitter to eat, but he seems to love 'em. Will they do the pup any harm? He shows no ill effects (no vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, no behavioral change), but I am sure this can't be good for him.

There is no way I can get all these things up, and no place on my property without them. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:29 pm 

People have been using acorns for centuries to make flour, so they are safe to eat. Some types have more tanic acid than others and when preparing the flour you have to leach all that out, but I think it's due to the taste more than being harmful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:26 pm 

Thanks! That's kind of what I figured, and I haven't got too panicked about it, but it's good to have another opinion. My vet says just watch him for signs of constipation and otherwise don't worry too much about it unless he exhibits some other adverse reaction symptoms. A Google of the subject turns up plenty of dire warnings, by dubious experts with nebulous credentials, without details on why. It also turns up a couple dozen "My Sweet Doggy" -style individual web pages where people (kids, I hope) give a nearly minute-by-minute account of everything their treasured turd-hound does, eats, smells, or poops throughout the day. It is a comfort to know that mine ain't the only acorn eater out there, and I've yet to hear of mass die-offs attributable to the practice.

Post subject: Acorns are BAD for dogs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:31 pm 

I have just returned from a visit to the veterinarian's office with my sick dog. She has been "foraging" in the back yard every chance she gets for that tasty acorn and evidently has developed an infection in her intestines. The vet said they are definitely NOT GOOD for dogs and that they contain tanic acid. He also said that if enough are consumed that they could cause kidney damage. Her symptoms are diahhrea and flatuation (gas) and she is being treated with antibiotics. I just wanted to post this note to all dog owners who might have pooches who like to eat acorns.

If anyone out there has an idea of how to remove the acorns or expedite the organic "break down" of these things I would be very interested. For some reason this is the first year that the five oaks in our yard have produced thousands of acorns. I am at my wits end in figuring out how to keep my dog from eating them. Picking them up is not an option as there are too many and even though they can be embedded in the turf my dog finds them. Wonder how many months/years it will take for them to degrade? Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:37 pm 

My dog was eating them by the pound back in August when they were green, but now that they're brown he's leaving them alone. Never acted sick, no loose poop, no adverse symptoms at all. I don't understand your vet putting your dog on antibiotics unless a bacterial infection is involved; I'd think antibiotics would be of little use against tannic acid. Did he say the dog's immune system might be compromised by the acorn eating? I gotta say, my dog (8 months old) seems to have lost interest in the acorns, and is growing and thriving normally. I have pretty much quit worrying about his eating habits; I've seen him eat at least a dozen different things that I know can't be good for him, but he's happy and healthy. The only time I've seen him get sick was from a hornet sting. He puked once, immediately had diarrhea, went in his crate and slept for an hour, then was a ball of fire again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:49 pm 

Thanks for your note. The vet did confirm that she might have an infection, hence the antibiotics. My pooch has had a very sensitive intestinal tract since she was a "kid". I do hope that with time they will become less interesting to her but for now, I'm just following her around as she does her business ready to extract from her mouth any little acorn morsel she tries to chomp.

This should be an interesting winter...

Thanks again for your reply. I've done quite a bit of research on the web regarding dogs who eat acorns and lots of sites list them as poisonous to dogs. I also tried to find any info that might indicate that something is missing from her diet but to no avail.

Trudy says howdy...grrrrr!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:38 am 

We walk daily around the village and my dogs know every red oak in the neighborhood and start leaning that direction as we get near one, hoping to get lucky and scarf up a few acorns. They don't bother with Live Oak or the larger varieties, they have a definite taste for shumard. I have observed no ill effects, though I don't let them just eat and eat, they're a treat every so often. Season doesn't seem to matter, though I think the fresh ones probably taste better and are healthier. I don't usually let them forage for acorns after the winter, figuring the ones left on the ground may be mouldy or rotten.

Northwesterner