It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ok fertilizer solution?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:22 pm 

Ok, I'm going to run this by you guys and see if you think my method needs tweaking.

My lawn is looking pretty good lately (St. Augustine) but there is a lot of dead grass leaves underneath the living grass (St. Augustine is a vine, I'm told, which is why this is the case). The dead grass isn't really doing much, just sitting there. I fertilized with an equal parts mixture of CGM and dry molasses. I also added some lava sand for good measure.

My thinking is the CGM is always a good idea and the dry molasses is to speed up the dead grass into composting naturally (as well as the CGM).

Can someone with more experience critique this and tell me what I could do better for next time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:23 pm 

Also, I wanted to mention that I intend to spread compost after mine gets going. Going to be a while, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:59 pm 

Seems to me that you are on the right track. The grass will have a thin layer of dead leaves at the soil line which is protecting & mulching the grass. If growing properly, you will not notice this unless you are at the soil line looking closely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:19 pm 

Yeah, aside from those spots that are under watered (water restrictions) I have to look through the green grass to see the underlying layer of dry gray leaves. It looks much better today, though I would imagine that has more to do with the rain than anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:13 am 

Mother Nature can water better than any mechanical device plus you get a free shot of nitrogen as the rain passes thru the air. Throw in a few cool days and nights...
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:18 am 

That's for sure. A friend of mine from work makes rain barrels and has said his vegetable crop is much greener this year just from watering with non-chlorinated water. I'm thinking of getting a rain barrel myself.