It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ball moss
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:35 am 

I have a severe ball moss problem, I am in san antonio where it seems to be very pervasive. I understand most of the causes and results but I understand there are two ways to control it. mechanical and chemical. Now dont get up in arms about my word chemical. mechanical is physically getting in the tree and either picking it off or cutting it out. very good but very time consuming when you have over 300 trees affected. chemical is the one I have a question on. I understand a spray of water and sodium bicarbonate can be used in the winter to "control" it. however I do not know the mix rate or the ramifications to the tree and soil. so, I have cleaned off 95% of the moss out of 2/3rds of my trees and want to spray the baking soda on them to kill the rest I missed or is now comming back. any help, comments ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:39 am 

Here's the information in the Library. Reportd have come in that adding Garrett Juice helps.

Ball Moss and Spanish Moss

Ball moss (Tillandsia recurvata) is not a moss but a bromeliad, related to pineapples and the beautiful plants we use indoors. It is not a parasite but instead gets its nutrients from the sun and rain. It only hurts trees with heavy infestations but can be controlled easily by spraying baking soda or potassium bicarbonate at ½ cup per gallon of water. The same uasually works on Spanish moss. Like mistletoe it does tend to attack trees as thier health declines and the canopy thins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:30 pm 

Thanks, is there a difference (better than the other) between the Sodium Bicarbonate and the Potassium Bicarbonate? My initial assumption is the potassium bicarbonate is better than sodium. also is one more effective than the other?