It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:59 am 

Hello all,

Finally figured I've been 'lurking around' long enough, time to join up.

Dave Horn, 4th generation farmer, went organic in 1985.
Since then I've been from my few acres of veggies for local, direct, & farmers market; to Field Dept Manager contracting several thousand acres of organic veggies for an organic frozen foods company.
That was my introduction to 'big ag' and the food processing industry.

Then I spent over a year with the Washington State Organic Food Program as an Organic Inspector. Boy, was that a great time, and what an eye-opener to see organic issues from the 'regulatory' side of things.

Lately I have helped develop pastures & paperwork for a state of the art organic grazing dairy, and am managing 4,100 organic acres of crops: veggies for frozen processing, and Winter feed for the Jerseys.

I hate the sound of all that, sounds too "braggart" or such, but it's sure not meant that way.

It has been a tremendous ride to "grow up" with the rebirth of organic agriculture.

I am sincerely grateful God has seen fit to bless me with such a broad spectrum of experience, from the smallest production to the largest.

There is so much that each group could learn from the other, yet they often dismiss one another for various biased reasons. Sad.

My present job leaves time for little else, but I do like to help anyone I can.

Can't have my 22yr organic 'learning curve' benefiting just one employer, now can we? :wink:

Glad to be a part of this great crew. Hope to "earn my feed".

Cheers,
Dave

PS: Nearly forgot, I'm in Eastern Washington, Tri Cities area, which is the South end of the Columbia Basin. Everything here is irrigated desert, dryland wheat, or native sagebrush.

Are there any members near here or anywhere in the Pacific Northwest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:40 am 

Welcome!

I'm really impressed w/your credentials & I'm sure we all can learn from you.

I just broke up the black-over-white dirt to plant a garden. I'm sure you can relate: mines about 25' X 8'! :) Today I'll spread molasses, lava sand, humates & compost.

Looking forward to your posts!

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:35 pm 

Welcome aboard, Dave. As you know, there are still plenty of skeptics out there - some among us. Your large scale experience will be valuable.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:43 am 

Howard & Patty,

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here.

You have tons of valuable info & experience packed in this bit of digital space.

Skeptics....? really?? :lol:

It never ceases to amaze me the 'reasons' & arguments some people come up with.
Why can't they realize that the whole world was organic until about WW1, mostly until shortly after WW2.

Manufactured nitrogen "fertilizer" was not invented as plant food folks, it was developed as explosives for war, and later used as fert. Imagine that.

Have you ever had the discussion with 'unbelievers' that the N in their bag is exactly the same as the N in the manure pile? :roll:

Ok and the vitamin C in the synthetic pill from a lab is the exact same as the vit C in an orange.
Clueless I tell ya.

No offense mean to any organic 'unbelievers' or skeptics, as I am a firm believer in everyones' right to freedom, their own beliefs, & opinions, whatever they may be.

It is truly wonderful to see some "turning of the tide" as more folks get fed up with chemicals and particularly with pharmacuetical "cures".
From organics, natural foods & health care to green buildings, I hope we are just seeing the beginnings of a natural revolution. (peaceful, of course)

Cheers,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:59 pm 

Small world. I was born in Kadlec Hospital. My parents were from the west side of the state, though, so they got out of Richland (Benton City and the Rattlesnake Hills) pretty quickly. So now I seem fated to revisit what they didn't like--hot hot hot summers. I live in Texas. :roll:

Northwesterner