It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:41 pm 

Hello,

A recent wind storm wreaked havoc on one of my wax myrtles that I planted last fall. A "Y' split down the middle and one large branch was completely blown off the tree.

The split trunk is one of the main trunks of the tree and I would like to save it if possible. I tied it up temporarily so the wind wouldn't do any more damage.
What are my options?

Up close:

Here you can tell it supports a major portion of the canopy as well as the void the broken branch left behind:

Thanks in advance,

Dom

Last edited by dom on Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:47 pm 

Dom
Heroic attempt, but - that entire stem should be cut off at the ground. No way it will heal and be strong. The other stems will fill out before you know it and give you a good tree. Pull that mulch back a little more and make sure the flare is above ground.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:53 am 

Thanks Doc. I had a feeling that was going to be my answer...at least these trees grow quickly.

I'm in the process of exposing the flares of all of my trees; I thought I planted them high enough, but then I realized they were too deep in the containers to begin with...

Thanks again,

Dom

Post subject: One more question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:32 am 

You can't see it in the pics, but this split trunk is one part of a "Y" just above the ground. The split trunk has another branch probably 18" off the ground and I have currently cut off the main (split) branch just above this point so I could keep this other branch.

My questions is, should I go ahead and cut this branch further down, just above the "Y at the ground" or is it ok to leave it higher where it currently is? Will it be stronger and look better if the new branches start just above ground level?

Thanks,

Dom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:09 am 

e Craig,

I set up a photobucket.com account to store my images online. From there, you simply select the pic, it automatically copies the url for you, and you paste it into your message like this to display an image (w/o spaces): Image

Here is a pic of what I was attempting to describe above:

You can see the cut I made several days ago. The branch I am trying to save is just behind the cut, coming off of the cut branch. Notice the base of this branch is a "Y" itself.

My question is, would it be better to sacrifice the smaller branch and cut the main branch lower to the ground in an attempt to get more, sturdier branches to start from the base of the tree?

Thanks again,

Dom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:33 am 

I would cut that branch down to the lowest level and not leave that 10 inch staub sitcking up. I would also keep an eye on the branch to the left that has that big wound on it. May have to cut that if the branch starts to turn.
Tony M